Where do you dump your yeast/hop slurry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlyone

Reaction score
so where do you dumb your yeast and hop slurry? I live in apartment and it’s been a huge problem. I’ve tried to pour the leftovers into a grain bag and filter the liquid and then dumb rest of the yeast and hops into a eco trash. Liquid goes into the toilet. It’s a mess. Always.

I live in a condo, and I dump it in the woods behind my place. It's all organic stuff, so it just composts. If it's wet outside, then the bottom of the fermenter goes right into the toilet. I've talked to a few plumbers, and they said just make sure you flush a few times. They said you'd be surprised at what you can actually flush as long as you use enough water.

Save yeast slurry whenever I can, if I can't it goes down the garbage disposal and I flush it down with a bunch of hot water, which is usually pretty easy since I'm typically cleaning the fermenter at that point.

Save yeast slurry whenever I can, if I can't it goes down the garbage disposal and I flush it down with a bunch of hot water, which is usually pretty easy since I'm typically cleaning the fermenter at that point.
My exact process.

Smart yeast on the other hand, don’t get me started.

When not saving it, I find swishing around 2-3 G of water to dilute it adequately to dump in my laundry-room washtub while the hot water is also running... I don't worry about it collecting in the drain because shortly after that I'll be dumping hot PBW in after it while washing the fermenter.

Run lukewarm water into the garbage disposal side of the sink and pour slurry into that while running the GD thing... unless, of course I have another batch of beer to drain into the fermenter, in which case I just let it ride for trip number two.

Hop pellet residue gets squeezed dry in a fine mesh bag then removed and thrown outside in the garbage can to make sure the dogs can't get into it. Yeast trub goes into a couple of Mason jars in the fridge for use later, and any left after that gets flushed down the kitchen sink when I clean the carboy or bucket.

You didn't ask about spent grain, but I generally broadcast it thinly on the lawn for the birds or earthworms to eat, or dump it on the compost pile. (or a little of both) Sometimes I save a few cups to make dog cookies.

I'm also an apartment brewer. Sadly, there's nowhere else for my spent grain to go other than the trash. The bulk of my trub and spent hops goes down the garbage disposal. I aggressively repitch, but a majority of each batch's yeast slurry goes down the garbage disposal because I find a pint Ball jar is more than sufficient for my purposes.

I've got a side yard with multiple vermipost buckets, so I dump my hops in those. Whatever grains I don't save for multiple things...and I try to save a lot also goes in the same buckets.

The yeast slurry..I usually dump that in the same area as the vemipost buckets, but not in. Been kinda scared I'll kill my worms by introducing more live stuff in there? If anybody can tell me that I have nothing to worry about and it won't harm them, that'd be great!

Anything containing hops goes in the toilet, going to my septic tank. I got 3 very inquisitive dogs....
Spent grains go to friends with chickens or on the compost heap. Some may go into my bread ;)
Everything else that I don't re-use goes on the compost heap.

I re-pitch on old trub several times

Are spent hops bad for all animals or just dogs?

I often dump spent grains out in the woods behind my house. I usually wash hop pellets down the garbage disposal but a few times have dumped with the grain.

Back