Where do I get steel tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look for a local metal distributor ... they're likely cheaper and you won't need to pay shipping

Online is the last place to buy metal (metal is heavy and costs alot to ship) check local steel yards or fabrication shops. When you go in ask if they have any "drop" steel (ie short peices leftover from cutting what they need) last time I got steel I got the drop prices for 1/3 the price as if I had them cut me a peice.

thanks. I don't know of any metal places near me so I'm looking to order, hopefully shipping isn't too bad.

remember, you can find places by searching Google or Bing for "steel supplier near myhome, mystate) - it brought up a bunch of places in both northern and southern Delaware. . . There was also Spencer Steel Supply in Spencer NC, not too far from Salsibury. Just a thought.

most of these places will also cut your steel either for free or for a nominal fee - makes it QUITE nice. . .

I just paid $1 a foot for 1.5"x1.5"x16ga. Delivery was $25.

Ditto for me. Technically it was a price per pound but it worked out to be right about a dollar per foot. The place I bought it from cut the 24 footers in half for free (cut to haul). I got mine at Triple S Steel in Salt Lake City, Utah but I know they have a couple other locations around the country. +1 for buying from a local supplier because you usually pay a premium online.

I usually buy 24 footers, but for some reason they had 20 footers in stock. I ordered it from Roco steel and tube in carol stream IL. I got 14 20 ft sticks for $280.

Here's an idea, try your local salvage lot/recycling yard. I picked up about 50 feet of 3/8 stainless tubing a few weeks back and made a DIY jockey box. My local yard has a massive heaping pile of all things stainless. I've picked up a few 3 piece ball valves, tubing, and numerous corney keg parts. Just a thought!

Back