When you've graduated from "new brewer"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Today, after I racked from my secondary to my bottling bucket, I moved the bucket to my counter top, and in the process I had to move the spigot to an upright position. When I tried to move the spigot back to a position to bottle, my bucket started leaking at the spigot!

I realized the nut that threads onto the spigot had come loose, and it was slowly draining the beer out. So, I had to make a quick decision on what to do, but there aren't many options.

So, I squirted some sanitizer on my arm, stuck in in, tightened the nut, and went about the business of bottling.

And it was at that moment I realized I had graduated from beginning brewer. I didn't feel the overwhelming urge to make a thread asking if I had ruined my beer, no need to consult the myriad brewing books. I relaxed, didn't worry, and had a home brew. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

:ban:

as a noob to brewing, i say you have graduated. i strive to never make a"is my beer ok" thread and someday hope to graduate from noob status!

Sanitizer on the arm is probably better thinking than what I would have done. I'd bet I'd just have shoved my filthy bare arm in there. Seems like good quick thinking on your part. I'll have to remember that.

I've gone from extract to all grain in the last week, if you choose to make this step be prepared to feel like a noob all over again, quite frightening in a way.

Then again I spent a lot of time during my first all grain trying to work out how to do it better next time.

Today, after I racked from my secondary to my bottling bucket, I moved the bucket to my counter top, and in the process I had to move the spigot to an upright position. When I tried to move the spigot back to a position to bottle, my bucket started leaking at the spigot!

I realized the nut that threads onto the spigot had come loose, and it was slowly draining the beer out. So, I had to make a quick decision on what to do, but there aren't many options.

So, I squirted some sanitizer on my arm, stuck in in, tightened the nut, and went about the business of bottling.

And it was at that moment I realized I had graduated from beginning brewer. I didn't feel the overwhelming urge to make a thread asking if I had ruined my beer, no need to consult the myriad brewing books. I relaxed, didn't worry, and had a home brew. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

:ban:

You got it buddy....That's exactly it...the same thing happened to me...I just grabbed the spray bottle of sanitizer rolled up my sleave, and had at it...then didn't even think there would be anything wrong.

When you reach the sartorial state of rdwhahb, then you have arrived...you are no longer a mere Padawan, but are now a true Jedi Brewer. So now you gotta go get a beerstein tattooed on your a$$ though. :D

yoda.jpg

Arrived, you have, welcome!!!!!

I was brewing yesterday, and as I was racking the beer from my keggle to primary, the spigot got blocked up(to much Irish Moss...but that's another story). Not 5 minutes before, I had my arm almost shoulder deep in sanitizer water, so I just reached into the wort and cleared out the obstruction. I have made so many mistakes while brewing, and still made good beer, that I hardly worry about little things any more.

It's all about the RDWHAHB.

It's funny, my friend my Michigan says "Winner, winner, chicken dinner" when he beats me at darts (which rarely happens, FWIW). I recently heard someone say it on Sportscenter and laughed, since I consider my MI friend to be a gigantic dork like me, ergo the phrase is permanently dorkified...

I was brewing yesterday, and as I was racking the beer from my keggle to primary, the spigot got blocked up(to much Irish Moss...but that's another story). Not 5 minutes before, I had my arm almost shoulder deep in sanitizer water, so I just reached into the wort and cleared out the obstruction. I have made so many mistakes while brewing, and still made good beer, that I hardly worry about little things any more.

It's all about the RDWHAHB.

You should call the beer <Armpit Hair Ale>
sounds refreshing :fro:

I wish I still had a copy of my label for my Nine-Nippled Aardvark Stout. I may have to dig through my digital archive to see if I still have it...

Latest posts

Back