when to use fining agents in relation to dry-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed an IPA that has to go grain to glass in 15 days (serving it at an event) This is significantly faster than my normal timeline and I am also using Conan yeast. It is AMAZING for ipas but it is one of the worst floccing yeasts in existence. Normally time is all that is needed for this yeast to clear, but I don't have it.

I normally don't use fining agents but when I do I use Biofine. it works well and, unlike most other fining agents, is vegetarian. But I've never used it in conjunction with dry hopping. I'm thinking it would be best to fine first, then dry hop. I've heard quite a few people say that fining agents strip hops slightly. And I care more about the hoppiness than the clarity. What about the following schedule?

Day 1 brew
Day 8 Add bio fine
Day 10 dry hop
Day 14 keg
day 15 serve

P.S. I am only 3 days in so far.

I wouldn't use fining agents for an IPA. But that's me, I might be a minority, but I feel like it takes away some of the taste I would describe as the taste in high cohumulone-hops, sort of the rough edges. The bitter-feel just isn't the same.

I'd cold crash only, 8-12 hours at set CC temp is enough for my liking as it clears "enough" but still leaves that rough edge.

If someone asks you about why it's so hazy then just tell them because it's supposed to be that hazy. Hazy IPA's are very sexy imo :)

*Edit: Imo your schedule is too tight, when it comes to yeast-cleanup. You could end up with some flavors which you don't want in there, because the yeast didn't have time to clean up it's mess. Although those off-flavors, if any, would be pretty low, they can still be there.

15 days imo is enough for a nice an full fermentation, and just a quick cold crash. I wouldn't sacrifice shorter yeast activity.

I wouldn't use fining agents for an IPA. But that's me, I might be a minority, but I feel like it takes away some of the taste I would describe as the taste in high cohumulone-hops, sort of the rough edges. The bitter-feel just isn't the same.

I'd cold crash only, 8-12 hours at set CC temp is enough for my liking as it clears "enough" but still leaves that rough edge.

If someone asks you about why it's so hazy then just tell them because it's supposed to be that hazy. Hazy IPA's are very sexy imo :)

*Edit: Imo your schedule is too tight, when it comes to yeast-cleanup. You could end up with some flavors which you don't want in there, because the yeast didn't have time to clean up it's mess. Although those off-flavors, if any, would be pretty low, they can still be there.

15 days imo is enough for a nice an full fermentation, and just a quick cold crash. I wouldn't sacrifice shorter yeast activity.

So cold crash after dry hopping? Wouldn't that strip some hops as well?

Yes. But if you do a short one, you'd just strip out the biggest visual chunks and I don't think you'd strip out as much as if you'd let it sit for 2 days at CC-temp, which I belive is the norm.

I haven't exactly A/Bd this, but that's the feeling I've gotten after xx batches with gelatine and/or cold crashing.

I dont like to fine any pale beers anymore as I feel it takes away from the aroma. If I were to though, I would fine first, then dry hop, like you suggested.

Back