When to trim first year plants...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
I have several first year plants growing now, I'm wondering when I need to start trimming them? One of my plants has about 7 shoots coming out of the ground, maybe 3" tall on average. They seem to have shot up to that height quick, but have kind of been stagnant there for the last week and a half or so. I dunno if its cause they are all in a bunch, or because we haven't had a ton of sun lately.

I wouldn't bother trimming in the first year since you are really trying to get that plant established and get the root system developed for the future. This what the professional growers I have talked to have been advocating, especially since your first year yields will be pretty negligible compared to what you should be getting in year 3+ if you get your plants off on the right foot. Remember to fertilize them between now and July with something rich in Nitrogen and you should be good.

I use a bit of bone meal to add nitrogen. Spent grains are a good lower source. Careful though, if your soil is already rich in nitrogen, you don't want to add any. Don't neglect other things. I use a well rounded fertilizer with Higher concentrations of Potassium and Nitrogen and lower concentrations of Phosphorous. Hops don't desire Phosphors nearly as much.

i use Scotts Osmocote for gardens and fish fertilizer. I did use ironite on the start (since I used a lot fo the cheap topsoil from the store - sand and mulch). This combo is good. won't burn the plants and the fish stuff is a good booster too.

I wouldn't trim them, no matter what. If you trim them and some bug bites off the head of the vine that were left then the plant may be stressed. With several of them growing, you know the chances are good at least one will make it.

So far only one vine was eaten by a bug so far. The other vines from the rhizome are doing great. I use the organic slug killer and neem oil to kill the bugs. Even then some bugs will be left. Don't take a chance. I will not use anything stronger (maybe seven dust) due to other veggie plants in my garden (tomatos, peppers, melons, etc).

More leaves, the more energy is going to the plant.

So its all good to just let em grow and get all crazy? Typically how many test do you fertilize them throughout the summer? I fertilized the soil when I planted, and a month later.

So its all good to just let em grow and get all crazy? Typically how many test do you fertilize them throughout the summer? I fertilized the soil when I planted, and a month later.

you can let all 8 grow then when they become big enough, you could always trim a few. Just becareful of the bugs eating them. Only reason I warned you about it. I do not know what plant eating things are living in your garden.

home depot has a PH/nitro tester. You can use it just to be on the safe side. If you are worried like I am, go with the low grade stuff like fish fert. or like the blood/bone meal like the poster above stated.

Back