"Pruning" First year plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
I know you arent really supposed to prune first year hop plants. So my question is a bit different. Right now, my (I think) cascade plant is doing really well. Still potted in potting soil and compost grew about 8 to 10 feet and has since grown really long side shoots. This is my first year ever growing hops and not sure the best way to do it. All the side shoots are now really hanging low and getting tangled with each other. Is this normal or should I try my best to separate them?

Do you have a picture? I’d say that it’s probably fine to do nothing this year. My Cascade always gets super shrubby on the lower part of the plant. The side arms on the lower nodes start growing early and super long. In future years you may want to trim all early side arms on the lower 3-4 feet of the main bines.

Here’s a pic of my Cascade back on June 5th this year. You can see the side arms already were going nutso.
181B92A9-D645-48B1-BC2A-A6BE743C2386.jpeg

Here’s a pic from today
5FC241A7-1FE1-4B53-A365-862DD5D2B800.jpeg

Latest posts

Back