When to take hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimo281

Reaction score
It's been 48 hours and the airlock stopped bubbling like crazy as it was earlier today, I know it doesn't mean much but it was fun to check on. Now I know I'll leave it in the fermenter for at least 3-4 weeks so is it pretty useless to even open the bucket until that point?

Probably a dumb question but I figured I'd ask to get some clarification. The logical answer in my mind is to just leave it alone until several days until I plan to bottle.

It depends on the style of beer and your expected FG, but typically you can leave it in the fermenter for a few weeks and then start taking readings daily. When you start getting the same reading a few days in a row you know fermentation has stopped. More time won't hurt it.

If you're aiming for a certain FG, it's sometimes necessary to interfere with fermentation before it's complete, but that doesn't seem like the case here. Just let the yeast do it's thing and check it after awhile.

Latest posts

Back