When to raise ferm temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I have a 1.098 ris with wlp 002 bubbling away in my basement. I can already see the yeast dropping out and bubbling has slowed compared to the voracious activity I had 24 hrs ago, I pitched the yeast about 5 pm Wednesday. I'll wait till it slows a little more before pulling the blowoff and replacing with an airlock. So I need this yeast to really attenuate to its fullest to get me down to the 1.026-28 area, I pitched a 5L starter because I don't have a stir plate, and I plan on atleast 4 weeks in primary. When should I move this upstairs where it's 70-72deg to let the yeast finish out. Is there a timeframe to shoot for. Do I want to move it before the temp drops to the basement ambient temp of 59-61 or should I let it drop that far and bring it upstairs then let it rise again, seems I'd want to move it up before it gets to cool to keep the most yeast in suspension. Right now fermometer reads about 66 deg maybe 68 but prob closer to 66-67 and its prob going to fall steadily over the next couple days. Also do I leave it upstairs in the warmer temp for the duration of the primary or just move it upstairs for a week or two then put it back in the basement.

To keep it simple... Bring it up when you first see the krausen starting to drop.

It's hard to tell because thhe carboy is caked in brown sludge from the immense blowoff but it looks like from what little holes in the cake I can see into the carboy the krausen has mostly dropped or is almost there. What tells me anything is the bubbles are slowing in the blowoff container and I can see particulate now dropping and forming at the bottom of the carboy.

It's hard to tell because thhe carboy is caked in brown sludge from the immense blowoff but it looks like from what little holes in the cake I can see into the carboy the krausen has mostly dropped or is almost there. What tells me anything is the bubbles are slowing in the blowoff container and I can see particulate now dropping and forming at the bottom of the carboy.

When did you pitch? Given my past RIS beers, with poor pitch rates, fermentation slowed around day 5, so given your situation, maybe bring it up around day 4-5... yeast should still be active, yet far enough along not to cause any fusel or estery off flavors yet able to fully attenuate.

When did you pitch? Given my past RIS beers, with poor pitch rates, fermentation slowed around day 5, so given your situation, maybe bring it up around day 4-5... yeast should still be active, yet far enough along not to cause any fusel or estery off flavors yet able to fully attenuate.

I pitched around 5 pm on Wednesday using a huge 5L starter of wlp002. It kicked off within hours of pitching and was fully going 12 hrs in. So it's been 48 hrs plus since pitching. Fermometer temp is around 66 deg but the bubbling has noticeably slowed even since this morning so I know primary ferm is comin to its end. I'm thinking maybe see what happens in Tomm morning and then Monday sould b day 5 and put an airlock on it an move it upstairs.

Well most off flavors from the yeast develop in the beginning of fermentation, and given that most beers I pitch Engligh ferment quickly, I would say move it upstairs now/tomorrow. My current Wheat I pitched with 1968 for one carboy (mainly for harvesting) and 1056 or the other.... the 1968 was done in 4 days. Even finished @ 1.010.

Well most off flavors from the yeast develop in the beginning of fermentation, and given that most beers I pitch Engligh ferment quickly, I would say move it upstairs now/tomorrow. My current Wheat I pitched with 1968 for one carboy (mainly for harvesting) and 1056 or the other.... the 1968 was done in 4 days. Even finished @ 1.010.

Thanks for the advice. appreciate the thoughts.

Back