When to rack to secondary if dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

net2mal

Reaction score
I apologize if this subject has been posted before but I could not find anything specific on this subject when dry hopping. I am still new to all of this and lack experience, however, I still believe my brews require a secondary especially since I have dry hopped all of them.

I am brewing my fourth batch this week, Pliny the Elder Clone, partial mash AHS recipe, with some changes as Vinnie recommends in the Zymurgy July/August 2009 edition. I will be using two separate dry hop additions for a total of 14 days in the secondary. I need to schedule the brew day around being out of town for a week. I can either plan on racking in 5 days or wait 11 days to transfer to the secondary. Also, I know you need to take a hydrometer reading to determine when it is time to transfer, but unfortunately, I might not be in town at the ideal time.

My question is when dry hopping in the secondary, is it best to transfer as soon as the fermentation subsides, or can you wait few extra days to transfer and still get the same results?

You're going to want to dryhop later, rather than earlier. I like to dryhop 7-10 days before bottling/kegging.

I think that recipe has you dryhopping, then removing the first dryhops and adding the second, though, doesn't it?

If it does, I'd wait until fermentation is over and the beer is fairly clear, and dryhop right in the primary to make the first additions easier to remove. I just can't remember the recipe right now.

Thanks Yooper for your response.

Vinnie says he pushes the original dry hops back in suspension and adds a second edition. So I think I would definately want to rack to the secondary before dryhopping.
I am probably overthinking this, but I am leaning on waiting longer before racking to allow the fermentation to complete and for the beer to clear.

I am just concerned about delaying the dry hopping for a week.

letting the beer sit another week wont hurt it. if anything it could help it condition. yooper always gives sound advice. welcome to the forum!

Thanks rycov for your help. I agree, I have read many of his posts and they are always helpful!

Geez. Why does everybody always think I'm a guy?!?

One person told me they thought I was a guy named Joe. I asked him why, and apparently I posted Joe Matttioli's mead recipe (with permission) and they thought I was Joe.

I'm a middle aged petite grandmother, believe it or not! A Winter Texan, but a Yooper from the U.P. of Michigan the rest of the year.

Geez. Why does everybody always think I'm a guy?!?

One person told me they thought I was a guy named Joe. I asked him why, and apparently I posted Joe Matttioli's mead recipe (with permission) and they thought I was Joe.

I'm a middle aged petite grandmother, believe it or not! A Winter Texan, but a Yooper from the U.P. of Michigan the rest of the year.

Maybe they think you're a guy when you have your other avatar posted?

For a while I thought you looked more like your current avatar (no confusing gender there)... :D That was, until I learned better...

Of course, if anyone has seen Revvy's signature, they would be able to determine your gender a little easier. ;) At least I would hope so. :eek:

Back