When to Rack from Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff48

Reaction score
Last Sunday I brewed a heffeweizen as a base for a raspberry wheat. I am planning to rack the primary wort/beer over a can (49 oz) of Oregon Raspberry Puree.

I read different advice about when to rack. Some say rack before the primary fermentation is complete, others say rack after a few days.

I am still getting about 4-6 bubble/minute in the airlock so I opened the lid on the primary and there is still a fairly substantial foam cap on the liquid.

So question is

Rack now or wait for a few more days?

What has been your experience

You really should wait until the krausen has fallen before racking at the very least. Generally speaking, if you rack before fermentation is complete you risk stalling the fementing process.

If you still have foam on top, I would wait a few more days.

I rack when primary fermentation is complete...hydro readings will key you in on when. Consistent readings in your anticipated range for a few days in a row. Generally this is right around the 1 week mark anyway.

I am not quite sure what the logic would be to rack in the midst of active fermentation.

Doesn't the fact that he's racking onto fruit change things a bit? If fermentation isn't quite complete, it shouldn't make a huge difference since as soon as the yeast hits that fruit, it's going to go crazy again anyway.

Personally, I would do what the other guys said though and at least let it ferment out pretty much fully before transferring, if for no other reason than to keep as much of the fermentation in the primary as possible.

If he still has krausen then it is going to be hard to see the reading through the foam.
I was always under the impression that it is best to leave it do its thing and check the gravity once the krausen is gone.

I have a Belgian that has been in primary for just over 2 weeks and is still holding enough krausen that I can't see the beer so I'm waiting it out.

CatchinZs said:
If he still has krausen then it is going to be hard to see the reading through the foam.
I was always under the impression that it is best to leave it do its thing and check the gravity once the krausen is gone.

I have a Belgian that has been in primary for just over 2 weeks and is still holding enough krausen that I can't see the beer so I'm waiting it out.

Sure..If the krausen hasn't fallen, then it most likely is still actively fermenting. I generally siphon a sample into my sample tube for my reading anywho.

evandude said:
Doesn't the fact that he's racking onto fruit change things a bit? If fermentation isn't quite complete, it shouldn't make a huge difference since as soon as the yeast hits that fruit, it's going to go crazy again anyway.

Personally, I let the primary ferment complete so I don't risk a stall and have more of a defense against any nasties. I don't really know what the benefit would be to rack mid-ferment.

evandude said:

Even more reason to wait, you don't really want a lot of yeast fermenting the sugars from the fruit as that will definitely affect the flavor of the beer.

Gentlemen,

For 'Ale',
1 week in the primary,
and 1 week in the secondary.
A week being 7 days.

I have used this measure for 15 years and it has served me well.
I own a hydrometer but never use it any more.
Just a week in the old #1, and a week in the old #2.
Then bottle the ale.
In 6 weeks it will be at its best.

Let git ignert and go coon hunting.

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com
{my ale on last page}

TheJadedDog said:
Even more reason to wait, you don't really want a lot of yeast fermenting the sugars from the fruit as that will definitely affect the flavor of the beer.
Unless you chill then filter out the yeast, they are going to do that anyways.
My Strawberry Hefe was done and then I racked it to the strawberries, then next day, it blow the airlock off the carboy.

I do 1 week in primary and1 week in secondary to for most beers, but some beers will need a little longer in the primary. I age my beer for at least 8 weeks and some are near a year. I do have beer 1 1/2 years old and taste great. I will be putting down a wheat beer with raspberries all in the primary soon. Hope it turns out all right.

An actual German Hefe Weizen or just an American Wheat?

For the German Hefe Weizen I usually bottle/keg in 10 days, but I never add fruit. A fruit Hefe Weizen doesn't exist in Germany. The flavoring is added to the glass for a Berliner Weisse.

For an American Wheat I'd wait longer if you are looking for most of the yeast to drop out so it doesn't affect the flavor.

You could chill it overnight and a lot of yeast will fall out. Then you can flavor it. :D

It is a real all the way Hefeweisen complete with wYeast Heffe yeast.
I actually racked to the secondary over the fruit puree after 7 days. There was still a small kreusen head which I did not transfer to the secondary. Since last night I have not seen any overflow tube (a precaution) activity. I will let you know what happens at the end.

36 hours after racking to the secondary with the puree, no airlock activity. Hmmm maybe I should have transferred at high kreusen... Any ideas?

Still no airlock activity 4 days after racking over fruit puree. Any suggestions folks. I am thinking of pitching some dry yeast like Munton's Gold or safale What do you think?

Cracked the lid on the bucket last night to take a sg reading. Found myself looking at about 1 1/2 of kreusen. Must be a leaky lid. I am NOT going to add any yeast :)

Back