When to clarify after a stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gallagher1424

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am making a Riesling from a kit 2 weeks later through primary the fermentation started to slow down a lot and the Krausen dropped. When measured with the hydrometer I was only getting a measly 1.04. I'm aiming for setting closer to 1.00.
I transferred to secondary to avoid any off flavors from the sediment. I added some Energizer and aerated then topped off with some previously bottled Riesling.
Not long after my air lock was bubbling along nicely.

Now my question is when to clarify with keiselsol and chitosan. Should I wait for bubbling activity to slow down? Or should I add it now? What's the best practice for this sort of thing.
1554566333077.jpeg

Since it needs to age, why not just let it sit in the carboy and clear naturally? It should drop the suspended yeast Once the CO2 reduces. Since it was a kit I am assuming there little to no solids in it.

Do not add the clarifiers before it finishes fermenting. The yeast need to finish!

Some FYI:
- Hydrometer readings are normally expressed to 3 decimal places.
- Normally racking a stuck fermentation isn't the best idea. Removing a large portion of the yeast makes fermentation more difficult.
- Generally you don't want aeration toward the end of fermentation. This may lead to off-flavors and/or oxidation.

Good luck!

Back