When to call it quits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benenantor

Reaction score
I have purchased a Brewferm Christmas kit, and have followed all the directions. I am now at clarification, and the gravity has not dropped for five days,since it reached a gravity of 1.020, down from 1.031. I have read not to worry and give it time. I plan on waiting another week, but if the gravity doesn't drop, when should I stop waiting? And if it doesn't drop, should I go ahead with bottling? :mug:

Assuming this is an extract kit? My experience with extract is it usually quits around 1.020.
How long has it been in the primary for? Chances are if youve checked 5 times across a 5 day period its done. However, i usually leace my beers on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks so the yeast have time to clean up all the by-products of fermentation.

Ok, thanks, It is an extract kit. Ill let its sit for a few weeks then. I was only concerned since the instructions said to bottle at 1.010. It was in primary for a week, and its been in the clarification or secondary (not sure which is correct) for another week.

Hi,

Was 1.031 your Original Gravity?
What was the fermentation temperature, and was it steady?

I also do Brewferm kits. Already did Gold (very good), Pils and currently doing the IPA. You should always wait for fermentation to be complete before changing to another bucket to clarify.

Hi,

Was 1.031 your Original Gravity?
What was the fermentation temperature, and was it steady?

My fermentation temps where steady, always between 69 and 72, ( we had a snow storm in the begining, so it started at 69 and balanced out at 72 by the end of the week) the original gravity was 1.065.

My fermentation temps where steady, always between 69 and 72, ( we had a snow storm in the begining, so it started at 69 and balanced out at 72 by the end of the week) the original gravity was 1.065.

That is a 68% attenuation, which I think is the yeast attenuation percentage of Brewferm kits.
Its done.
If you did 1 week of clarifying, wait 2 more weeks and then bottle it.

That is a 68% attenuation, which I think is the yeast attenuation percentage of Brewferm kits.
Its done.
If you did 1 week of clarifying, wait 2 more weeks and then bottle it.

Thanks for the help. Ill be sure to research attenuation so I know in the future.

The most likely reason for an extract recipe stopping at 1.020, when the unfermentable sugars in the recipe are minimal, is the instructions were followed to a "T". The beer should not be removed from the yeast cake until fermentation is complete. Take the SG reading before racking to a secondary. If fermentation is not complete, leave it in the primary.
Beer will clear in the primary, same as secondary, given the time in the primary.

Latest posts

Back