when to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
My second batch (an IPA) was in primary for 8 days before it hit my target gravity (1.015). I racked it to secondary, and it's been there for 9 days. In secondary, there's no real fermentation actually going on, so would it be safe to bottle tomorrow? It's the only real chance I'll have to do it, and then I was planning to bring it to a friends for a party in 2 weeks. Does this sound like enough time to carb up? I know IPAs are better fresh, without too much conditioning so I figured it would be alright. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Most people go 3/4 weeks to help clear the beer and let the yeast finish cleaning up, but you are safe to bottle if you wish

Depending on the temperature of the bottles and the amount of priming sugar you used will determine if it is carbonated. I know on my first couple of batches I was very eager to bottle and try them out and rushing them really affected the flavor.
You should be fine to bottle and in two weeks they should be carbonated.

You should be good to go on all fronts - the IPA could still benefit from a bit longer in the bottle for both conditioning and carbonation purposes, but it'll be drinkable and I'd imagine your friends will be royally impressed with your latest batch...

Latest posts

Back