When to bottle hefe to avoid sulfur smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had my hefe*fermenting at 62 for two weeks. Like others, I got a strong sulfur smell from the 3068 yeast for the first week. I just took a sample (1.010) and I don't taste or smell the sulfur, but I'm a little afraid it'll come back when I bottle condition.

I have 3 weeks until my Oktoberfest party and was wondering if you think I should bottle today and condition for 3 weeks or let it sit in the primary for another week, then bottle and condition for 2 weeks. What is my best bet for avoiding any sulfur smell?

Thanks!
John

Same here. This is my first time using the 3068 and the first time I've gotten the sulfur smell during fermentation, so not sure what too expect after bottling. Might not be an issue at all.

John

If you want to be sure it will be carbonated for the party, bottle it 3 weeks before. At 2 weeks it might not be finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a hefe and had same concern. I bottled at 2 weeks and sampled one after a week to see how things were coming along. Scared me because after a week of bottle conditioning, it tasted and smelled of sulfer. After 2 more weeks of conditioning there was no sign of sulfer.

Thanks, Chef, for letting me know. I'll keep that in mind when sampling next weekend.

I changed yeast from wlp 380 to 350 to experiment. I fermented @ 65 in my climate controlled chamber. After 5 batches this is the only one that has this sulfur smell, it still taste good but has an awful smell. I take it it must is been the rubber seals and temp controlled chamber. Any feedback appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back