When to add sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnirish

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions guys but the more I read all of the threads the more questions I come up with........What's the concensus on adding sugar. My first several batches of hard cider just was fresh-pressed unpasteurized cider, yeast nutrient and cider yeast and turned out great but the more recipes I read on here, it seems like most people add several pounds of sugar. Can you get away with not adding any or is it always best to add some? Is this added just before bottling like you would priming sugar? Thanks in advance!

You can do it either way. I made with sugar and without. Now that they have been bottled awhile, I much prefer the one without sugar. Cleaner taste and less dry. Just a personal preference but my future batches will just be cider and yeast.

If you want it carbonated, it's just like priming beer. I like to prime with a can of apple juice concentrate but dextrose works just as well.

Simple table sugar will also do just fine. To half a litre of hard cider add one nice big teaspoon of sugar to get some good carbonation going.

With my Baker's yeast Cyser it's usually completely carbonated after 2 weeks.

Sorry for changing the question but, with all the different post all aiming towards the same thing lets kill two birds with one stone. When is it to late to add sugar? Now that I have bottled my cider SHMBO says "this is really bitter, shouldn't this be sweeter?" No dear your are the sweetest thing I need! So now I need to sweeten the cider that has been bottled any ideas?
:mug:

Add a teaspoon of sugar to the glass and stir? or serve it with 7 UP? Once it's bottled, it'd be a real pain to sweeten each bottle individually.

Back