When to add sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asphaltboy

Reaction score
I don't use sugar in my brews very often, but i'm making a Marstons Pedigree recipe which calls for 10% invert sugar.

Would you guys add it at the start / end of the boil or can i put it in as i strain the hops off prior to cooling with the wort still at 95'c ish?

Asphaltboy said:
I don't use sugar in my brews very often, but i'm making a Marstons Pedigree recipe which calls for 10% invert sugar.

Would you guys add it at the start / end of the boil or can i put it in as i strain the hops off prior to cooling with the wort still at 95'c ish?
I would just follow the recipe. The timing of the sugar addition in the boil will affect your hop utilization, and hence, perceived bitterness of the final beer.

Does the recipe say when to add it? Or, alternatively, if it is from a clone book, does it have a general introduction that tells you?

orfy said:
I normally add sugar around 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

I use golden syrup for invert.

Ditto, on both counts :)

---
On Deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Nothing
Seconday: Nothing
Conditioning: Gruffudd Brown Ale

at the end makes sense. that way it gets sterilized by the boil, but doesn't have time to carmelize much from the heat, and wouldn't affect hop usage.

Back