When to add Milk Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPHussey

Reaction score
Couldn't find an answer on the forums with a quick search, so does anyone have insight as to when I should add the Milk Sugar for a sweet stout recipe? I've seen some examples that seem to indicate 15 minutes to kill any bacteria/pasteurize/whatever. That seems to make sense to me, but I've also seen other things talking about adding it during priming 'to taste.' So not sure if folks are priming with milk sugar or just adding it during that stage vs. the boil.

Thoughts?

In the boil, although it doesn't really matter, traditionally kettle additions like that are added in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Like BigB said, you don't want to bottle with it if you want carbonation. But you CAN add it at bottling time, along with your priming sugar. You can also spice your priming sugar as well.

You can also spice your priming sugar as well.

Rev, this is a new one for me. You mean if one were to add literally a spice, such as the coriander in a Wit?

(Not literally this specific addition, you wouldn't coriander it at bottling, but same idea...)

Back