When to add additional yeast pack or yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbas

Reaction score
I brewed a batch on Sunday and had a malfunction with a Wyeast SmackPack. It didn't swell as much as usual, but we pitched it anyway. When I looked in the pack one of the pouches with brown liquid never burst. I cut it open and poured that into the fermenter. I checked on it yesterday morning and evening, and the airlock was bubbling at a rate of about one bubble every 30+ seconds. This morning I checked it again. It was bubbling at a rate of about one bubble every 3 seconds. I've never had something ferment this slowly. Typically the morning after I brew you can see the airlock moving vigorously. At what point should I add yeast nutrients or a new packet of yeast?

IMO, there is no need, now, to add anything. You should have made a starter with the pack unless it is a small batch or a very low gravity beer. Have you used this particular yeast before? Some yeasts produce very different fermentation signs compared to others. For example Belgian yeasts are most often very vigorous. Other styles less so.

IMO, there is no need, now, to add anything. You should have made a starter with the pack unless it is a small batch or a very low gravity beer. Have you used this particular yeast before? Some yeasts produce very different fermentation signs compared to others. For example Belgian yeasts are most often very vigorous. Other styles less so.
Were using Wyeast 1335 British Ale II, but I've never used it before. Were making a brown ale. Original Gravity was 1.053 and Final Gravity is supposed to be 1.013. I've never done a starter. My friend has a 1000 ml pyrex flask and I was told we would need a 2000ml one for a starter.
Additionally we are going to be adding 2lbs of gauva paste to the secondary.

I brewed a batch on Sunday and had a malfunction with a Wyeast SmackPack. It didn't swell as much as usual, but we pitched it anyway. When I looked in the pack one of the pouches with brown liquid never burst. I cut it open and poured that into the fermenter. I checked on it yesterday morning and evening, and the airlock was bubbling at a rate of about one bubble every 30+ seconds. This morning I checked it again. It was bubbling at a rate of about one bubble every 3 seconds. I've never had something ferment this slowly. Typically the morning after I brew you can see the airlock moving vigorously. At what point should I add yeast nutrients or a new packet of yeast?
sounds EXACTLY like my situation, also a Brown Ale at that. I failed to find the "little brown packet" inside until after I pitched the liquid yeast , so I sent it as a chaser. I ended up re-pitching 36 hours later .Ended up sticking a week in and after restarting about day 13,it was a 17 day ferment . I hit my numbers though .
Im following this thread to see what and how you do as it goes.

I think you should be fine.. As long as it's active, and the temperature is steady, the yeast will likely make their way through to full attenuation. You may want to draw a sample before you decide to bottle, to check on the gravity..
Also, maybe double check the seals on the airlock and bung.. It's possible that there is a slight leak, causing less Co2 to exhaust through the lock, making it seem like a less active fermentation...

sounds EXACTLY like my situation, also a Brown Ale at that. I failed to find the "little brown packet" inside until after I pitched the liquid yeast , so I sent it as a chaser. I ended up re-pitching 36 hours later .Ended up sticking a week in and after restarting about day 13,it was a 17 day ferment . I hit my numbers though .
Im following this thread to see what and how you do as it goes.

I think i'll let it ride and test the gravity in week or so.

I think you should be fine.. As long as it's active, and the temperature is steady, the yeast will likely make their way through to full attenuation. You may want to draw a sample before you decide to bottle, to check on the gravity..
Also, maybe double check the seals on the airlock and bung.. It's possible that there is a slight leak, causing less Co2 to exhaust through the lock, making it seem like a less active fermentation...

I did adjust the airlock already. I think taking a sample before the secondary may be the route I go with.

Let me ask you this...Has it cleared up yet? When I took my first FG sample reading ,it still hadnt cleared and the numbers showed it wasnt ready yet. Once I took the FG on day 17 it had settled and cleared entirely.
I asked the same basic question you are, I was advised not to transfer to secondary as it could introduce infection. Leave it in your primary and let it ride another week with a close eye on it. Maybe if anything ,try and raise your temperature by 2-3 degrees, see if that helps get it going a little. My basement stays pretty much 68-70* during our 95*+humid summer. I'm lucky my fermentation area is directly under my ac ducts so it stayed nice down there. The days it was the hottest, like almost 100*F outside ,the temp in the basement rose to only 71*F ,thats when I noticed the action picked up.

Let me ask you this...Has it cleared up yet? When I took my first FG sample reading ,it still hadnt cleared and the numbers showed it wasnt ready yet. Once I took the FG on day 17 it had settled and cleared entirely.
I asked the same basic question you are, I was advised not to transfer to secondary as it could introduce infection. Leave it in your primary and let it ride another week with a close eye on it. Maybe if anything ,try and raise your temperature by 2-3 degrees, see if that helps get it going a little. My basement stays pretty much 68-70* during our 95*+humid summer. I'm lucky my fermentation area is directly under my ac ducts so it stayed nice down there. The days it was the hottest, like almost 100*F outside ,the temp in the basement rose to only 71*F ,thats when I noticed the action picked up.

It's in a stainless steel fermenter so I cant see, but last night when I checked on it and the airlock was bubbling like crazy and the thermometer showed a notable increase in temp. I keep it in a closet and the closet stays relatively cool around 67-68 degrees.

It's in a stainless steel fermenter so I cant see, but last night when I checked on it and the airlock was bubbling like crazy and the thermometer showed a notable increase in temp. I keep it in a closet and the closet stays relatively cool around 67-68 degrees.

Sounds like your back in action..that's excellent! ...if you wanna tick the ambient temp up just a bit, I bet that if you turn on a light bulb (like a desk lamp or something), you'll see an additional couple/few degrees.. I picked that up from some neighbors for keeping a well water line from freezing during the winter...

Watch the temperature of the wort itself, not the temperature of the room. If your room is 70 the wort could rise as high as ~80 during fermentation.

Wyeast lists the temperature range for the yeast as 63 -75 degrees. I try to stay right around the mid point of the range, so I would be shooting for about 69 degrees as a maximum.

Sounds like your back in action..that's excellent! ...if you wanna tick the ambient temp up just a bit, I bet that if you turn on a light bulb (like a desk lamp or something), you'll see an additional couple/few degrees.. I picked that up from some neighbors for keeping a well water line from freezing during the winter...

Watch the temperature of the wort itself, not the temperature of the room. If your room is 70 the wort could rise as high as ~80 during fermentation.

Wyeast lists the temperature range for the yeast as 63 -75 degrees. I try to stay right around the mid point of the range, so I would be shooting for about 69 degrees as a maximum.

The temp inside the fermenter crept up to 71.7 at it's peak, a little higher than I wanted, but I do not have a great form of temp control right now. I'm transferring to secondary tonight. Appreciate the help guys!

Are you adding anything to the beer in secondary? If not, you can skip that step. It really doesn't do much, maybe a small amount of clearing. Most consider it more risky than worthwhile. The risks are oxidation and possible contamination. If you do it sanitize very carefully.

Are you adding anything to the beer in secondary? If not, you can skip that step. It really doesn't do much, maybe a small amount of clearing. Most consider it more risky than worthwhile. The risks are oxidation and possible contamination. If you do it sanitize very carefully.
I love additions when brewing. I'm doing a guava peanut butter brown ale so I'm adding guava paste and peanut butter extract to the secondary. I very OCD about sanitizing thanks to my friend.

Latest posts

Back