When should I rack this puppy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernBrewMan

Reaction score
We brewed our first beer last Saturday and I need to rack it to a secondary so I can free up my primary for a new batch. The first batch was a BB Oktoberfest kit and I have some questions on when to rack it and the FG. The instructions say to rack it in 10-14 days but, LHBS said to go ahead and rack it this weekend. I took hydrometer readings the past two nights and it was the same both nights 1.020. I am going to check again tonight and if it is the same should I go ahead and rack the beer? Also, the FG is on the outside of the range (a little high) of the BB kit instructions (1.013-1.016) should I be concerned? The OG was within range but just barely at 1.056. So....

1. Should I rack this weekend if the reading is the same tonight or should I let it get down within in range for 2 consecutive days before racking?

2. Should I be concerned about the gravity being a little higher than the instructions?

Thanks!

1.020 sounds a little high. Was this an extract batch? Sometimes extract batches won't attenuate any lower.

However, the general rule of thumb is that 3 days of the same SG reading and you are okay to rack. I'd consider leaving the beer on the yeast for another week before racking. The yeast still have plenty of work to do in cleaning up off flavors etc.

I know it's tough to be patient but your beer will reward if you are.

1020 is a common curse when using extract. If it's the same again I'd say you can rack it. Although less than a week is very quick. I'd give it at least 2 weeks on the yeast since you're using a secondary. The yeast do a lot of cleanup after they're done.

It was a Brewer's Best kit that was mostly extract with some steeping grains. Our original plans was to leave it in the primary for two weeks then carboy for 2-3 weeks and then bottle it. However, the LHBS said only to leave it in the primary for a week then rack. I am fine with leaving it a second week on the yeast cake I just want to get my second beer going....but I know patience is key when brewing. The yeast was a lager yeast but it said it could be brewed at ale temperatures does that make a difference. I forget the yeast name :confused:

The beer may end up a little sweeter than originally intended. I'd leave the beer in primary for a while longer if it really was a lager strain. They can be slower in fermenting.

I made this as my first batch - as I recall the instructions suggested leaving it on the yeast for longer if fermented at ale temps. I left it for two weeks in primary, then another two in secondary after racking off the trub. Tasted really quite good when I bottled a couple of weeks back - I'm holding out for one more week before cracking one open.

How did it taste when you measured the FG? I'd be tempted to leave it...

Yeah it suggest 10-14 days. So I will leave it for two weeks. I didn't taste it when I measured the FG but, I may take another reading tonight to just get a taste and I will report back. However, it did look real good and smelled amazing!

Well...I went to a Club all grain brew day this weekend and they suggested a very light shake/tap to the primary to bring the yeast back into suspension. I did this Monday and needless to say the yeasties are back to work with airlock activity and an increase in temperature to 66. Saturday will be two weeks and we will rack to a carboy and begin brewing BB's witbier kit.

So we bottled the BB Oktoberfest kit on November 26th and I put one in the fridge on December 3rd and drank it on Saturday....It was a banana Oktoberfest that was quite a bit sweet. The taste hadn't changed much since I tasted right before bottling. It was carbonated some but definetly needs more time in the bottle. Just worried that my first batch will suck bad! It does taste fine in my opinion in that it is beer and it is drinkable just not what I was going for. I was so worried that I took a sample of my second beer that is in the car boy (Witbier BB Kit) and it tasted fine (no hints of banana). I am assuming my fermentation temps got too hot. How can I keep these temps down in a size limiting apartment? The Witbier was done at the same ambient temp of around 68 and the fermentation was much more active than the Oktoberfest but so far it seems to be tasting right. Any advice?

Do you have room or anywhere to put a plastic container to use as a swamp cooler? I usually put mine in the tub in the second bathroom as it is rarely used for showering. I was able to keep the fermenation around 68 in the summer (Mississippi), and it's been 62 - 65 now. Basically your using it as a heat sink. I use an old t-shirt and basically keep it soaked to keep the temperature down.

I use a container I have had from moving around though there are tons of them out there. Basically it's a big plastic box. They used a round one in the guide I used - http://billybrew.com/swamp-cooler-homebrew.

Back