When/How to add dry hops to Fuller ESB Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunta

Reaction score
Bought an extract kit from a local home brew shop. the directions are pretty standard. this is my 4th batch and directionally they were all relatively the same and easy to follow.

This is the first kit i purchased that has "dry hops" (0.33 oz Kent Goldings) and i knew beforehand not to add it to kettle, although the directions i have don't actually say when or how to add them. After quick searches through the web their seems to hundreds of options to take.

the option i think i'm taking is letting the wort ferment in my primary for 2wks, then racking to a secondary (clarity) for 2wks. Prior to racking, i'll drop the dry hops into the secondary fermentor then rack. Is this a perfectly acceptable method or is there a better one?

Generally I'd say dry hop using a bag in secondary but 0.33 is not a big addition. If you secondary then thats probably the best dry hop point. Go for it!

I do not dry hop my fullers ESB clone
I do however add 3 late boil haps additions

jut put them in a hops bag, tie a string securely to them and hang from te carboy mouth

Thanks all for the reply. I actually forgot to add that the dry hops (pellets) came with a small muslin bag. if i do use the bag, do i need to santize it (star san) and teh rope need to hang it?

I'll probably just drop them in the 2nd and be careful before racking to bottle bucket.

Thanks for the replies.

Back