When do you use a blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
Obviously if you see beer kicking up into the air lock, it's a good idea to add a blow off. But what I am curious of is there anytime when you just forego the air lock and use a blow off as soon as you pitch? I'm doing a DIPA tomorrow night, pitching US-05. I used US-05 on my last IPA and started out with a blow off, but ended up not needing it and switched it out for the air lock. But for this DIPA I'm going to pitch two packs of 05.

So...other than seeing beer in your air lock, are there other characteristics that make you use a blow off instead of an air lock all together?

Two blowoff tubes at the same time. But seriously, I use one every time I ferment. Then take it off when fermentation slows. It's saved my butt a number of times.

I'm only a couple brews in but have used blow off tubes every time, the whole time.

I use them for every beer I make. why not? I'd rather use it and not need it then not use it and need it. :D

You can use a blow off anytime. In place of an fermatation lock. I will use blow off tubes with high gravity beers where I have to pitch a larger amount of yeast.

Damn that surprises me! But good info to know. I think I will definitely go with a blow off for this one. Thanks for the heads up.

I just always use a blow off tube now, unless there is plenty of headroom, which I generally do not have.

Only with the lack of headroom for me, the pear cider I have going is a good example of this, it is spurting out trub like mad!

Again, just like everyone, I use one 100% of the time for the first few days, then swap it out with a normal air lock.

Have one beer blow up and...... it just makes sense to use one.

Like many of the other replies, I always use a blow off tube for my primary 100% of the time, I'm just too lazy to sanitize an air lock and switch it out when fermentation slows down. I do always use an airlock on a secondary.

I use one every time, except now on my new fermenter I got plenty of head space so I don't need one. But on the others, always. No reason not to, they function the same way as an airlock.

I didn't even look at the other replies... EVERY time.... It is just so easy and solves one of the bigger headaches that noobs experience.

Anytime I use S04 - the beastie yeastie! Especially on anything with an OG of 1.050/+! You are most likely going to get a big krausen.

The only times I don't use a blow off tube are the times I end up scraping yeast off the wall and ceiling. The dog once....

Not that I need one every time, but damned if I can tell when it will be.

I just lost like 3 quarts of beer out of my blow off tube from having an over filled carboy and a super active yeast pitch. You def should use a blow off tube its good insurance like everyone says.

I'm pissed I lost that 3 quarts though :mad:

I'd say always, but I actually didn't on my last batch. It was the smallest batch we had ever brewed - a session IPA (like 1.046 I think?) - and I thought no real funny yeast characteristics to worry about (ie hefe, Belgian, etc)...WY1272.

Well, chalk up another "funny yeast" experience in my book. I should have read more on the strain. It made it through peak fermentation fine and started to die down a bit. Went to m'lady's place, came back almost 48hrs since I'd last seen it, and the thick "second krausen" had advanced through the airlock, but luckily no real mess.

Guess it'll be "Yes always 100.00% of the time" going forward.

Always use a blow off now. One reason that I didn't see mentioned is that the air lock could lose enough liquid from the bubbling to let air back in. This could happen even if the krausen does not reach up into the airlock.

I don't understand why so many folks are switching to air lock part way through. Isn't it easier just to leave the blow-off in place? What is the advantage?

I don't understand why so many folks are switching to air lock part way through. Isn't it easier just to leave the blow-off in place? What is the advantage?

I mainly do it so I have an open vessel of water in my ferm chamber for as little time as possible (moisture, even though sanitized water, I guess things can still go bad if you leave it in there a really long time w/o changing out). But also for cold-crashing to avoid suck back.

No harm in using one, but in 60 batches of beer I've only "needed" one once. However, pretty much all my beers are 1.065 or less.

Makes it easier to move fermentation vessel around. I sometimes move my brew upstairs where it's a few degrees warmer to finish off, and switch to an air lock.

I transfer some hop material to the fermenter. Once, I had an explosion even with a blow-off because hop material plugged it. The arrangement was just a drilled stopper with the tube pushed through it. I don't remember the tube ID. But I'd recommend a large ID tube if you have hops in the fermenter.

only with very big beers and abbey yeasts, otherwise i tend to trust that 20 liters in a 30 liter fermenter is enough headspace.

I mostly use notty though, so i tend to be familiar with it's activity.

Back