When did "microbrew" become "craft beer"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDog

Reaction score
I have been drinking microbrews and imports for 13 or 14 years. That's not bad since today is my 35th birthday. (People have called me a beer snob for much of my adult life. Though I can appreciate the time and place for a Miller or Coors. But never shall you place a Bud light before me)
Until I started brewing last December, I called the American stuff I liked, Microbrews. Recently, I've realized that the term "microbrew" is obsolete. Now, people use the term "craft beer." It seems odd. When and why the change? I googled it and came across this article http://www.99bottles.net/beer-2/when-did-microbrew-become-craft-beer/

I suppose I get it. But I've been drinking the stuff for all this time without realizing that somewhere along the way I lost track d the nomenclature. Why didn't I get a memo?

I've been wondering the same thing, apparently it passed me by as well. I think it may be a regional thing, maybe, I hear most people still refer to it as microbrew in the Pacific Northwest.

I didn't get the memo either.

I am in the Midwest, in the suburbs of Chicago. I suppose that until I started brewing, I didn't go around searching for people to talk about my love of beer.

"Craft" beer is the new code word for BMC crap wrapped in a different label. Went to the Orioles game last night. They have had a good run of local 'Micro beers' for the last couple of years. Well, now they have 'Craft Beer' stands. Things like Blue Moon, Batch Whatever #, Gearshift (whatever), etc.... Only 'real' decent beer in the place was from the Flying Dog booth. Course, there was huge lines for the ONE booth there....oh....and they also were selling chicken fingers and crap. So, basically I wasted an inning or two waiting in line. So, in conclusion: Craft is the new code word for a beer 'crafted'. They do 'craft' Budweiser right?

Rant over...

The name change came about as more "microbreweries" started brewing on larger scales. Companies that outgrew the microbrew set-up couldn't truly be called microbreweries anymore, thus can't call beer microbrews. They started the trend of calling beer "craft". This word still portrays to the consumer that this beer is not your run if the mill beer. It was carefully CRAFTed to achieve a certain taste profile, abv, and commonly used ingredients not used by the Ab InBev and the like. I personally don't care what it's called, as long as it continues to grow and change as it has for years. I also will add that I think "craft" tells a better story in one word and sums up the nature of the beer and it's brew process.

I agree. Micro is a reference to size. Craft is supposed to be a reference to quality and style.

I agree. Micro is a reference to size. Craft is supposed to be a reference to quality and style.

It's supposed too....but it isn't anymore. I can craft a nice turd in the toilet. Blue Moon isn't a craft beer to me. Compared to INBEV, even Sam Adams is a micro brewery if your going by size. :D

Back