When Animals Attack People Who Make questionable Decisions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JINKS

Fermentator Extrordinaire
Reaction score
I'm not the author but was requested to start this thread from posting this story in another.
I'm hoping that this story even though probably untrue will inspire others to share similar humorous stories from their past

Actual Letter from someone who writes, and farms.

I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up — 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it...it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope and then received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope. That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer— no chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals. A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head.

At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope. I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slowly and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have it suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set beforehand ... kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head — almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now) tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the bejesus out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day. Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that, when an animal — like a horse — strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape. This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run.

The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down. Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are lying there crying like a little girl and covering your head. I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.

So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope so that they can be somewhat equal to the Prey.

Now for the local legend. I was pretty beat up. My scalp was split open, I had several large goose eggs, my wrist was bleeding pretty good and felt broken (it turned out to be just badly bruised) and my back was bleeding in a few places, though my insulated canvas jacket had protected me from most of the worst of it. I drove to the nearest place, which was the Co-Op. I got out of the truck, covered in blood and dust and looking like hell. The guy who ran the place saw me through the window and came running out yelling, "What happened?"

I have never seen any law in the state of Kansas that would prohibit an individual from roping a deer. I suspect that this is an area that they have overlooked entirely. Knowing, as I do, the lengths to which law enforcement personnel will go to exercise their power, I was concerned that they may find a way to twist the existing laws to paint my actions as criminal. I swear... not wanting to admit that I had done something monumentally stupid played no part in my response. I told him "I was attacked by a deer". I did not mention that at the time I had a rope on it. The evidence was all over my body. Deer prints on the back of my jacket where it had stomped all over me and a large deer print on my face where it had struck me there. I asked him to call somebody to come get me. I didn't think I could make it home on my own. He did. Later that afternoon, a game warden showed up at my house and wanted to know about the deer attack. Surprisingly, deer attacks are a rare thing and wildlife and parks was interested in the event. I tried to describe the attack as completely and accurately as I could. I was filling the grain hopper and this deer came out of nowhere and just started kicking the hell out of me and BIT me. It was obviously rabid or insane or something.

EVERYBODY for miles around knows about the deer attack (the guy at the Co-Op has a big mouth). For several weeks people dragged their kids in the house when they saw deer around and the local ranchers carried rifles when they filled their feeders. I have told several people the story, but NEVER anybody around here. I have to see these people every day and as an outsider — a "city folk". I have enough trouble fitting in without them snickering behind my back and whispering, "There is the ******* that tried to rope the deer!"
Barbara "rope tricked" Mikkelson

I wish it was true. He could be the biggest dip**** who ever lived. Nice work badmouthing law enforcement too

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDGF1MQZK28&spfreload=10[/ame] This is an animal attacking a human that's made a questionable decision.

That story is basically right. A deer is nothing to fight with. Especially a ruttin buck. Here's a rather humorous story of my run-in with a 6 point buck during the early fall rut. My son & I were heading out to the mall & for some dumb reason, I changed my mind about the store we were heading to & turned around. Just as we were passing under the I90 overpass, it decided it couldn't wait 3-5 seconds out of a lifetime & tried to jump over the Probe. I had turned to talk to my son, turning back around just in time to put my arm in front of my face. I got a face full of deer a$$ & windshield glass. My son got hit in the head with the rearview mirror. It cost 3K to get a new roof, windshield & left side mirror installed & painted. Here's a Youtube video I did.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDkDcmm49A&index=3&list=PLBHtxLp5STNf8Ckv1Dc9CaGrgUAyJrvCE It was funny because he hit the windshield a$$ first, with his cheek & nut hairs stuck in the glass. He trotted up the hill by the I90 fence & turned to look at me like, " Dude! WTF"?

That story is basically right. A deer is nothing to fight with. Especially a ruttin buck. Here's a rather humorous story of my run-in with a 6 point buck during the early fall rut. My son & I were heading out to the mall & for some dumb reason, I changed my mind about the store we were heading to & turned around. Just as we were passing under the I90 overpass, it decided it couldn't wait 3-5 seconds out of a lifetime & tried to jump over the Probe. I had turned to talk to my son, turning back around just in time to put my arm in front of my face. I got a face full of deer a$$ & windshield glass. My son got hit in the head with the rearview mirror. It cost 3K to get a new roof, windshield & left side mirror installed & painted. Here's a Youtube video I did.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDkDcmm49A&index=3&list=PLBHtxLp5STNf8Ckv1Dc9CaGrgUAyJrvCE It was funny because he hit the windshield a$$ first, with his cheek & nut hairs stuck in the glass. He trotted up the hill by the I90 fence & turned to look at me like, " Dude! WTF"?

Looks like they fixed it good as new. Glad nobody got hurt

When I was in Boy Scouts back in the mid 1970s I lived in Ohio. We did a troop trip to Bass Island in Lake Erie. Today Bass Island is Lake Erie's equivalent of New Orleans, but when I was a kid it was a dumpy little island with a small fishing village called Put-in-Bay. Our troop was there for a camping trip. Back then the lake was disgusting. It smelled, it was polluted, and it was covered in dead fish.

We were on a hiking along a break-wall when we spotted a huge flock of Canada Geese. It was nesting season. I understand now that it is not a good idea to mess with geese during nesting season, but back then I didn't have a clue. A few of us found it funny that when you got too close to the geese, they would start hissing. Our scoutmaster told us to cut it out, but we kept messing with the geese. We'd walk up to them, they'd hiss and rush at us and we run away laughing.

Apparently Canada Geese have a limited sense of humor and we did this one too many times. Suddenly, we were rushed by the entire flock of geese. It was like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. They came running at us from all directions and started attacking. We ran like hell, but they pursued. I can only imagine the sight of 20+ scouts in full uniform running for their lives from about the same number of really pissed off geese. Too bad no one had cell phone cameras back then. Getting hit by one is like getting attacked by a bulldog. I got bit in the ass several times, and almost knocked over. They left quite a few marks.

I thought that if I jumped into the water they would leave me alone, so I jumped off the breakwall into the putrid water. Eventually they stopped attacking, but we had a long embarrassing hike back to the campsite. I was soaking wet, my ass hurt like hell, and my uniform smelled like rotting fish and garbage for the entire weekend.

I still hate geese because of that incident. I give them a lot of room when I see them.

About 30 years ago I went trout fishing once on the lower Mokelumne River with a friend. A dead cottonwood log protruded out nearly level over the water, making it easy to get out beyond brush on the bank to cast to likely lies. I walked out to the end, sat down and made a few casts. Soon a wasp was buzzing me, then another. Since they wouldn't leave I decided I should. When I got up I realized I'd been sitting on a knothole containing a nest because what seemed like hundreds of wasps boiled out & chased me down the log and along the bank. My friend yelled, "Jump in the river!".

By the time I got away I'd been stung 20 or 30 times including three stings by a single wasp tangled in my hair before I was able to get rid of it. To this day I don't have an anaphylactic reaction to stings (I keep bees ) but I did have some bad muscle cramps that night that I think may have been related. Since then I've learned to look before I sit.

Deer vs car is pretty common here. Had a car vs horse once during my early days with the fire dept. Had to cut the car apart to get the dead horse out of it. Drive was pretty messed up as well but lived.

CSB:

A few years ago I spotted a large nest of bald-faced hornets under the eave of my house. The nest was about the size of a football. I went to Home Despot and bought a can of hornet spray (the kind that shoots 25 feet). I waited until sundown, when all the hornets were back inside the nest. I shot a bunch of spray at the nest, and watched hundreds of dead hornets immediately drop out.

The next morning I saw that the nest had no activity--not a single hornet buzzing around. I got the pressure washer and proceeded to blast the dead nest off the house. I was surprised to discover that I had only killed the critters living in the outer layers of the nest, but there were still plenty of live hornets residing safe and sound in the center, where the spray hadn't penetrated.

They were not happy to see me.

I bolted and got back inside the house before any of them caught up with me. That night, I returned and EMPTIED the entire can of hornet spray on the remainder of the nest. 100% kill that time.

A good friend of mine grew up on a farm. When he was in the Army, he brought a buddy home who had grown up in the Chicago projects. His buddy had never been outside the city before joining the Army, so he wanted to experience farm life. When asked what we did for entertainment, other than drink beer and watch corn grow, my friend decided to introduce him to the time honored art of cow tipping. First we had to explain that cows sleep standing up, then explain how "the process" works, and took him over to another farm. We were really shocked when he started climbing over the fence, and began prepare to cow tip. Fortunately, my buddy tackled him just as he was getting coming out oh his football stance. That was when we learned that not only did city boy not know that cows slept standing up, he also did not know the difference between a cow and a bison.

It shows just how much damage animals can do to a car. Deer or even large dogs can do a surprising amount of damage. That roof job cost me $3,016 to fix.

I crack up every time I hear this one...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cClB2iLAqts[/ame]

Gues the mtha*in animals didn't like that mutha*er very much. Lolz....the Hogan's Hero's theme was a nice touch. And that bear video just goes to show that we humans aren't the only ones that do stupid shiz for no reason!...

Reminds me of the time I was stationed in ft Eustis VA. We were there training to repair cobra helicopters and in our off time we liked to have a few at the base bowling alley. One night about 5 of us decided that we had had enough and we're walking back to the barracks when we spotted a skunk walking along in front of the px. One of the guys jokingly hollered "let's catch it". 4 of us knew it was a joke. Poor Agutos, he had no idea what was about to happen. Agutos was from the Philippines and had never even heard of a skunk before.
After the call was out to capture the little creature Agutos was all business shouting and giving orders and pointing. The rest of us just started laughing and thought that he was kidding. All of you that live in the country know how slow skunks are and how easy they would be to catch if the didn't have built in chemical weaponry. So before long he had closed the 30 yards or so between him and the smelly beast. A few seconds before he got to it he turned to us and asked why we were not helping, the only reply any one of us could muster was probably the least helpful of all to a guy from the Philippines. Between laughing and trying to catch up and catch our breath the only response was "because it's a skunk " . He didn't want to wait for an explanation since the creature was a second away so he turned his attention back to it. His first contact with the skunk came in the former of a tap to the rear of it. The skunk didn't like this sort of greeting and decided that it was time to spray. The rest of us could see the spray from the lights in the parking lot next to us and could do nothing but laugh harder. Agutos, being so close to the animal did not see anything and was so totally focused on his pending prize decided that it was time to give the creature another tap... he missed. This disapointed him so he started to yell at us to get closer, we knew that our 10 yards or so was more than close enough and are telling him no and no in more than one way. R his did not discourage him in the least and proceeded to give it one more tap on the backside. It of course has sprayed again and about the time he made contact with the heiney the spray made contact with his eyes. By this time the rest of us have gotten to the area where he first made a connection with the skunk. We decided that we were closer than we wanted to be and stopped. Now he is yelling about his eyes and what did it do to me... help...help me. The tears running out of his eyes because of skunk stench was equally matched by the tears of laughter coming from each of the rest of us. We walked around the sprayed area and told him to walk to us knowing that if we walked through the spray the smell would never vacate our boots. By the time he got to us we were able to explain what a skunk was although it took several minutes with all the laughing. By this time the tears had done their job and he could see again and we started once again toward the barracks. During the 1/2 mile walk we explained what he need to do to get rid of the smell. This didn't do a bit of good because the first thing he did when he got back to the barracks was strip. Not usually a bad thing when you are covered in skunk perfume, but when you throw you stench emitting clothing in a locker with every stitch of clothing you own things are not going according to your master plan. And funner than that within 2 minutes of us getting back to the barracks someone at the opposite end of the building on a different floor yells out "what's that f#%@n smell?"
Lesson learned? Yes.... skunks are not a joke. The smell on him faded after several days of showers 2 or 3 times a day but the stink from his boots never did. He eventually bought new ones. The rest of his laundry he dropped off to have cleaned. The smell near his locker never did quite go away.

I believe Barbara writes for Snopes and did not author the letter. I took the author to be male based on context. Apparently Barbara did as well.

I guess the "rope tricked" between the first and last name threw me..

Latest posts

Back