When an extract kit from NB says...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdessert

Reaction score
Ready in 6 weeks does that include bottling? No way right? Can I leave it on the same yeast six weeks? OG is only 58ish.

Mdessert said:
Ready in 6 weeks does that include bottling? No way right? Can I leave it on the same yeast six weeks? OG is only 58ish.

It probably does include bottling (3 weeks fermenting, 3 weeks carbing), and it certainly is ready to drink by then, but probably not at its best. but I prefer to give each of those things at least an extra week.

And to answer your other question, yes, you can leave it in the primary for 6 weeks if you want.

Ready in six weeks probably being the absolute minimum. However, you will have a far greater product leaving it in primary longer and letting it condition (stay in bottle) longer.

drathbone said:
Ready in six weeks probably being the absolute minimum. However, you will have a far greater product leaving it in primary longer and letting it condition (stay in bottle) longer.

That.

Just be sure when bottling to auto syphon into the bottling bucket to avoid transferring the yeast.

The six weeks is a minimum suggestion, all i use is northern brewer and every kit has taken longer than the suggestion to fully mature.

Agreed with everyone (and replying anyway because, well, I'm obsessed with brewing).

The kits generally give you a low-ball estimate. The NB estimate is actually much better than one you'd get from a can, which would more likely tell you it's ready in 4 weeks! :cross:

Six weeks isn't bad. Three weeks seems largely considered a good minimum for primary as well as bottle conditioning. My last brew, I left in primary for three weeks, and I just tasted a sample bottle after 2 weeks conditioning. Tastes amazing (much better than my first attempt which only had 2 weeks in primary). Of course, it's a totally different style beer.

I'm giving my nut brown longer conditioning, another week or two.

Same as everyone else. I typically do 4 weeks in the primary and at least 3 weeks in bottles before I will try the first one.

7-8 weeks from grain to glass for me as well. 4 weeks in primary, then as long as it takes to carb and condition, usually a month as well.

NB is one of the more realistic of all the kit manufacturers in terms of how long beer takes, but even then it's only a rough guideline, a minimum- Yeast can't read instructions or calendars, and they have their own timeframe to do things. They could take less or more time depending on too many variables for any instructions to ever cover.

I like to leave mine at least 3 weeks in primary. Then, unless it needs aging, it's right to the keg. I let it carb up sitting at 34-36 degrees and 12psi. Usually ready to drink by the next week and the following week is perfect.

Basically, the longer you can stand it the better. In general.

I've found that generally if you multiply the timeframes by 1.5 on all the instructions from NB, you'll get a better beer. But other than that, the NB extract kits are excellent compared to a lot of the competition.

Here's a contrary opinion: I think many homebrewers over-age their beer. If you do everything right, you will find that most pale ale-type beers are ready to drink in 3 weeks for a 10.40 gravity beer, 4 weeks for 10.50 and 6 weeks for 10.60 beers. This is particularly true for ales with significant late hops and dry hops. Two weeks in primary for 50 or under and 3 weeks primary for over 50 then keg and carb or bottle condition. The hop flavors and aromas slowly disappear as time goes on. Next time you're at your favorite commercial brewery, ask them how long from grain to glass for them. The answer will surprise you.

Making lagers or stronger beers? This doesn't hold, they need more aging. Try it and see what you think.

The 7-8 weeks is a generalization that is endlessly parroted by those who seem to have impatience with inexperienced brewers who they deem to be impatient.

Some beers are better young, and are ready in much less time, especially if you keg. I just did a German Hefeweizen that was bottled, delicious, and ready in 4 weeks. Low gravity (< 1.050) beers often fit this bill.

Higher gravity beers generally benefit with more time. Hoppy beers are best consumed fresh regardless of gravity, as those great hop flavors/aroma degrade rather quickly with time. There are not hard and fast rules here.

The 7-8 weeks is a generalization that is endlessly parroted by those who seem to have impatience with inexperienced brewers who they deem to be impatient.

Some beers are better young, and are ready in much less time, especially if you keg. I just did a German Hefeweizen that was bottled, delicious, and ready in 4 weeks. Low gravity (< 1.050) beers often fit this bill.

Higher gravity beers generally benefit with more time. Hoppy beers are best consumed fresh regardless of gravity, as those great hop flavors/aroma degrade rather quickly with time. There are not hard and fast rules here.

I would lean towards this. A well made beer, especially one with an OG of 1.060, should certainly be ready long before two months.

There are a couple of keys- first, yeast health is very important. Pitching the correct amount of yeast and keeping the fermentation at the proper temperature is crucial. If you do this, there isn't any need to keep the beer in the fermenter weeks on end to "clean up" if you avoid the creation of esters and off-flavors in the first place.

Most of my beers are two weeks old when kegged, and three weeks old when consumed. There are a couple, like my oatmeal stout, that tastes better a couple of weeks later, once the flavors have time to meld. Beers with lots of complex flavors, like roastiness, may need more time as well as high ABV beers.

If there is enough yeast pitched (most homebrewers underpitch by a magnitude), and the fermentation temperature is controlled, the beer should easily be ready in less than 6 weeks. Three weeks in a fermenter and three weeks in a bottle certainly is proper for most beers.

Back