Wheat Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
I want to brew a Witbier but I also don't have local access to common "brewing wheat" types, don't really want to drive an hour to my LHBS, and wouldn't mind finding something I could use in place of it like some people use corn flakes for flaked corn, etc.

So, I was thinking original shredded wheat, ingredients state "Whole Grain Wheat. BHT is added to preserve natural wheat flavor".

Or cream of wheat?

Any other suggestions? Will either of those work? Neither of them? Suck it up and drive? Really don't want to drive though since I've got 4lbs of milled 2 row I'd like to use right meow.

Thanks,
Tac

*Oh, quick edit, I did do a search too but didn't come up with much.

*Edit... edit... I found some information on the shredded wheat. Reading that now.

I'm sure any of the above ingredients will work, but they probably won't provide the same effect as having wheat malt or flaked wheat in your grist. However, if you have access to a natural food store, they probably sell whole wheat berries, which are essentially unmalted wheat. While unmalted wheat requires a cereal mash to break down the gelatinous matrix, it is a principal component in traditional witbier and lambic recipes. I would personally take that route.

I'm sure any of the above ingredients will work, but they probably won't provide the same effect as having wheat malt or flaked wheat in your grist. However, if you have access to a natural food store, they probably sell whole wheat berries, which are essentially unmalted wheat. While unmalted wheat requires a cereal mash to break down the gelatinous matrix, it is a principal component in traditional witbier and lambic recipes. I would personally take that route.

They said they had wheat berries, but would those need to be milled?

I agree with specharka, You can use wheat berries, you will need to mill them/crush them, and do a cereal mash cause they arent gelantized. That would be your best bet. The natural food store may also have flaked wheat. Ive seen Bobs mills flaked wheat cereal, but its going to be like 2.50 a lb.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a grain mill. Looks like I'll be trying my hand with some shredded wheat I suppose.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a grain mill. Looks like I'll be trying my hand with some shredded wheat I suppose.

I doubt the folks who first brewed a bazillion yrs ago had a mill either. Use a rolling pin. A hammer. Your boot. Etc. make it happen.

I doubt the folks who first brewed a bazillion yrs ago had a mill either. Use a rolling pin. A hammer. Your boot. Etc. make it happen.

Lol! SWMBO already got pretty perturbed with me when I broke the bottom of two of her big containers when I used them the last time I tried to mill grain with a wine bottle.

I do have a very, very small coffee grinder or even the blender I could pulse them a bit I guess.

Back