Wheat Malt Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RmikeVT

Reaction score
In most of my brews I typically add 8 oz (5%ish of the grist) of Wheat Malt. I do this to help with head retention etc. Recently, I have been wondering how this impacts the flavor of my beer, if any at all. So, I offer the question up, does adding approx 5% wheat malt to the grist have a noticeable impact on flavor?

My experience says it has a definite impact on flavor of beer, and I'm finding that I'm not overly partial to it in every style. I find it to be a sharp, bright smell, or the smell of dry pilsner malt-like contribution (grass, hay, grainy). I'm not schooled in the descriptions of beer flavors so this is what's off the top of my head. It's not necessarily off-putting or bad, just a characteristic I'm picking up on that might not meld so well with every batch of beer. I've also been trying it out lately as a head retention promoter while not affecting the body too much.

I have used flaked barley in the past with excellent results but it's said to impart some haziness, which has kept me from using it in lighter, clear beers. The interesting part is that I used it in a cal common that came out perfectly clear after some lagering :D

How much have you added that you find those flavors? As I said I was only adding about 8oz <= 5% of the total grist.

How much have you added that you find those flavors? As I said I was only adding about 8oz <= 5% of the total grist.

1 lb was decently noticeable
0.25 lb was very subtle

Again, it's just the impression I seem to be getting from it. It's not "bad" perse, but just a nuance I wasn't intending on. An american wheat beer just wouldn't be the same without it :D

I was going to brew a Northern Alt this weekend and have my recipe set up for the typical 8oz of Wheat Malt, but I think I am going to leave it out, as this beer is a bit more delicate than the APA's, IPA's, EPA's that I typically brew, so I think I am going to leave it out.

I've been wanting to brew an alt since I began really reading about the style over the holidays. I knew the name for years but always assumed it was very much like a kolsch, which can sometimes be too "light" for me :D; turns out that alt is like a bigger brother with more characteristics all-around. Know that I'm more familiar with the style I'm going to start looking to brewing one myself. Point is: I'm jealous :p

In my Alt research I read something (I can't cite) that compared alt to an english bitter with the color somewhere between epa and brown ale, but with clean yeast. It is a malt focused amber/brown that can be quite bitter/hoppy. Also, I need to come up with another crowd pleaser/beer for the masses besides my apa. I am getting tired of brewing it.

In my Alt research I read something (I can't cite) that compared alt to an english bitter with the color somewhere between epa and brown ale, but with clean yeast. It is a malt focused amber/brown that can be quite bitter/hoppy. Also, I need to come up with another crowd pleaser/beer for the masses besides my apa. I am getting tired of brewing it.

I love alts. I came up with a recipe that I'm brewing for the first time and increased the size of the grain bill, I guess my attempt at a Sticke (stronger and hoppier). I put in a pound of wheat, which comes out to about 7% of the grain bill. Tasted and looked great out of the primary, but I'm still in the conditioning phase.

depending what else is in the grist, i find that i rarely notice 5% wheat. i believe wheat is one of those flavors that certain people are more sensitive to than others.

In my Alt research I read something (I can't cite) that compared alt to an english bitter with the color somewhere between epa and brown ale, but with clean yeast.

and by "clean yeast", you mean a kolsch/alt yeast, right?

I took is as high attenuation. There's nothing wrong with Wyeast 1007 for alt.

I was comparing ESB to German Alt, saying there are a lot of similarities one of exceptions being german alt's use a clean neutral yeast while the english use fruity estery yeast and don't lager.

I getting the starter of WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt going tonight for Monday brew sesh.

Back