Wheat IPA Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonescole

Reaction score
Did a simple recipe for a wheat IPA:
6 lbs 2row
2 lbs Flaked Wheat
12oz Crystal 40l
1.0 oz Galena 60min
1.0 Cascade 15 min
.5 oz cascade 1 min
US-05
My question is should I treat this like a wheat beer, or an IPA as far as drinking it? I understand that most Belgian Wit's have a nice ester that most people say will degrade after the one month time frame, so will there be something that degrades in this beer after a certain amount of time, or will it just get better with a bit of age (to a point I do not expect hop aroma to stick around for the long haul)? I have read and talked to other brewers that say they drink their IPA's in three weeks, but what are your opinions on this? I plan on kegging and force carbing it, so no need to wait on the bottle conditioning.

Thanks,

BC

I wouldn't even consider this a wheat beer, just treat it like a normal IPA. although it looks more like a pale ale to me, too low in OG and late hops for an IPA. I guess you could call it an american wheat, but only 20% wheat doesn't really qualify there.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1d

dcp27 said:
I wouldn't even consider this a wheat beer, just treat it like a normal IPA. although it looks more like a pale ale to me, too low in OG and late hops for an IPA. I guess you could call it an american wheat, but only 20% wheat doesn't really qualify there.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1d

Yup, seems like an apa with a good head. Up you ibus. Btw, you'll get no flavor from the 05, if thats what you were looking for...

Thank you for the link. I was looking for something like that online. I forgot to throw the 2lbs of Lite LME in there too. The OG was low for an IPA still but the IBU's are around 59, or so. I was thinking about tapping it in a month, but just wanted to see what people thought.

Yup, seems like an apa with a good head. Up you ibus. Btw, you'll get no flavor from the 05, if thats what you were looking for...

I was actually looking for a clean, crisp easy drinking IPA/APA that will go good in the summer. I did not want any specific flavors from the yeast.

Thank you for the link. I was looking for something like that online. I forgot to throw the 2lbs of Lite LME in there too. The OG was low for an IPA still but the IBU's are around 59, or so. I was thinking about tapping it in a month, but just wanted to see what people thought.

oh in that case you're a bit closer to an IPA. I'd throw in at least an oz dry hop though since your late hops are pretty low for an IPA.

oh in that case you're a bit closer to an IPA. I'd throw in at least an oz dry hop though since your late hops are pretty low for an IPA.

I can do that...seeing as I have two pounds of hops from hops direct burning a hole in my freezer. Would you go with Galena 13%, or Cascade 5.3%? I am leaning towards Galena as they have a nicer citrus smell tot hem. I was thinking about 1.5 oz of either.

I would agree with the earlier posts that you have basicly brewed an IPA. You certianly did not use a yeast that would enhance flavors typically associated with a wheat. As far as a consumption schedule I try and be sure that I consume all of the Wheats or IPA's I brew within 90 days of the finish of conditioning. I think that the time that you keep these brews and get the flavor that you want is a matter of your own taste. You might want to consider making some tasting notes and then drink your brew over the next 90 days, give or take, and see what you like. I also like to disturb my yeast when I am drinking "older" wheats.

bonescole said:
I was actually looking for a clean, crisp easy drinking IPA/APA that will go good in the summer. I did not want any specific flavors from the yeast.

Gotcha, yeah, thatll work out...the wheat will add a nice summer twang...i personally use cascade for most dryhopping, and its a nice citrus complement

I've never used galena late so I say go for it. that or split it. 1.5oz should be good, but more certainly works too since you got em to spare.

Back