wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're thinking of Beta-Glucan, not Gluten. The former, a carbohydrate, gums up mashes. The latter, a protein, causes bloating and digestive issues in some people.

gluten is the mesh that forms with kneading between the two protiens gliadin, and the other one? and water and time does it too, i thought?

and this is a mash, i don't think we want to make seitan here? unless this is specifically for dog treats?

gluten is the mesh that forms with kneading between the two protiens gliadin, and the other one? and water and time does it too, i thought?

and this is a mash, i don't think we want to make seitan here? unless this is specifically for dog treats?

Malted wheat (and ummalted wheat) definitely contain gluten. But that's not what gums up the mash. It's mostly the Beta Glucans that do.

I brewed a beer earlier this year with about 50% wheat flour (unbleached all-purpose.) I did not add rice hulls. Draining the BIAB was slow but not ridiculous. I would not want to try to sparge something like that. It was a really cheap beer to brew and tasted pretty good; I will do it again next summer. I might add some rice hulls (or sawdust) next time.

rahr white wheat malt crushed
rahr whit wheat malt
Ah, OK, that's settled then, it's wheat malt. Phew!

Please proceed as intended and look over our suggestions.
You'll be brewing a wheat beer with 95% wheat malt.
I'd definitely incorporate the beta glucan rest and the rice hulls.

Latest posts

Back