wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can do a step mash, you'll save time with lautering later.
1. Beta Glucan rest at 95-113F for 20'.
2. Protein rest at 122-131F for 15-30'. Or combine 1 and 2 with a single rest at 113-121F for 20-30'.
3. Sacch rest at 152-154F for 40-60'. Or somewhat higher temps if you want to reduce fermentability.

If you still have issues lautering, it being like a pot of glue, keep stirring, it will help loosen it up. So does adding heat as either (or both) help break down the gumminess, making the mash more fluid.

2. Protein rest at 122-131F for 15-30'. Or combine 1 and 2 with a single rest at 113-121F for 20-30'.
3. Sacch rest at 152-154F for 40-60'. Or somewhat higher temps if you want to reduce fermentability.

If you still have issues lautering, it being like a pot of glue, keep stirring, it will help loosen it up. So does adding heat as either (or both) help break down the gumminess, making the mash more fluid.
If you BIAB, you'll also save time with lautering, and you can skip the rice hulls and the step mash.

is their a calculater for the different rest or add hot water to desired temp?

can i make a wheat beer allgrain 9lbs american wheat and .5 lbs briess caramel20 1 oz cascade at 60 min strike water 154?
Just to clarify, that's American wheat *malt*, right? If so you're fine, but the rice hulls will be important because wheat is gummy and doesn't have hulls of its own. Also when I use wheat malt I have to set the gap smaller on my grain mill even tho' it's a Corona mill, otherwise too much goes through whole or just cracked and not really ground.

Just to clarify, that's American wheat *malt*, right? If so you're fine, but the rice hulls will be important because wheat is gummy and doesn't have hulls of its own. Also when I use wheat malt I have to set the gap smaller on my grain mill even tho' it's a Corona mill, otherwise too much goes through whole or just cracked and not really ground.
yes american wheat

i'm all grain brewing
I was going to make a snarky reply about how my grist was always all-grain, too, but then I remembered a couple of ill-fated kartoffelbiers...

Anyhow, you mean you're brewing with a traditional mash/lauter set-up, as opposed to the new-fangled process (only 120 years old!) using a filter to separate wort from grist.

I was going to make a snarky reply about how my grist was always all-grain, too, but then I remembered a couple of ill-fated kartoffelbiers...

Anyhow, you mean you're brewing with a traditional mash/lauter set-up, as opposed to the new-fangled process (only 120 years old!) using a filter to separate wort from grist.
true 10 gallon water cooler with toilet braid and my efficency is good , hit over the numbers with out cheating lol

is their a calculater for the different rest or add hot water to desired temp?
I'm quite sure there are, but I don't have any links for it.

I do step mashes (and decoction boils) in my boil kettle. After the mashout I transfer the lot into the mash tun (converted cooler) for lautering and sparging.
Heat slowly under constant stirring/scraping the bottom to prevent scorching. A thick, 3-ply bottomed kettle is helpful.

I'm quite sure there are, but I don't have any links for it.

I do step mashes (and decoction boils) in my boil kettle. After the mashout I transfer the lot into the mash tun (converted cooler) for lautering and sparging.
Heat slowly under constant stirring/scraping the bottom to prevent scorching. A thick, 3-ply bottomed kettle is helpful.
ok i got ya!b thanks

i am really not sure
do i need to go with extract wheat?

where did you get it?

i mean, if it's from someplace like morebeer, it's probably wheat malt...if it's from a baking shop like honneyville, probably not?

edit: i ask because when i was new to brewing when i was 18, i had my mom buy me a 50lb sack of rye berries...and didn't know i couldn't brew with them at the time....

Please post a picture of the label. If there's no label, please post a link or an explanation to how you know it is something called "American Wheat."

i bought the whole inchelada from corny keg Christmas present to me i love it ! my first brew in it was Extra pale ale from Northern brewer love it

where did you get it?

i mean, if it's from someplace like morebeer, it's probably wheat malt...if it's from a baking shop like honneyville, probably not?

edit: i ask because when i was new to brewing when i was 18, i had my mom buy me a 50lb sack of rye berries...and didn't know i couldn't brew with them at the time....
i order from Northern brewer

ingredients from northern brewer american wheat

I gotta say, I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you are talking about the all grain American Wheat Beer Kit from Northern Brewer, that comes with 4lbs of wheat malt and 4 lbs of pale malt, not 9 lbs of of any sort of wheat, and no caramel 20.

If you are talking about 9 lbs of an ingredient you bought from Northern Brewer, surely the bag has a label on it. Or you could screen shot your order. Or something.

edit: someone else will have to chime in, but you may want to do a protien rest to break down the gluten in that regard?
No, don't bother. Unless you want your wheat beer to be clear as crystal with no body or head retention. This is the 21st century. Malt doesn't need special coddling like this anymore.

edit: someone else will have to chime in, but you may want to do a protien rest to break down the gluten in that regard?

Probably not a protein rest, but with 100% (or nearly 100%) wheat malt, maybe a lower temp beta glucanase rest (which is roughly the same range as an acid rest) depending on how OP wants the mouthfeel to end up. In addition to making lautering easier, a beta glucanase rest will certainly reduce mouthfeel fullness. It's also worth noting that lots of brewers do acid rests for hefeweizens (to enhance "clove") that are also (inadvertently or not) reducing mouthfeel. (Also, it's the gummy Beta Glucans (not Gluten) that get broken down.)

No, don't bother. Unless you want your wheat beer to be clear as crystal with no body or head retention. This is the 21st century. Malt doesn't need special coddling like this anymore.

i was thinking for the 100% huskless wheat sparge, gluten would make it a even bigger PITA....

Back