Wheat grist and rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guldalian

Reaction score
Just curious, when doing a wheat beer with a 50/50 split of wheat and barley, how much rice hulls do you use? Figure 8-10 lbs of grain, mash ratio of 1.25-1.33 qt/lbs.

It depends a bit on how fine you crush the wheat, I run them separately through a .024-.026" gap, because the kernels are small. .034" for barley.

8oz of rice hulls is a good start. But if it runs really slow, you may want to add another 4oz, and stir well to disperse them.

I'd definitely use a mash ratio of 1.50, you need some liquid.

I aim for 1 oz per pound of "sticky" grain. So total grist is 8-10 pounds, then at 50/50 it would be 4-5 pounds wheat I would aim for 4-5 oz of rice hulls (works out that 1 cup of hulls is about 1 oz). You can always use extra for more insurance but I find the 1oz/pound hulls works for my system.

stpug is right.

Hulls are typically about 5% of total grain weight, but wheat has none. So to make up, 5% of 5# of wheat would be 1/20 of 80 oz = 4 oz of hulls needed. The 8 oz I gave you earlier was for an 11 gallon batch. :drunk:

None. My LHBS doesn't sell them (actually, no HBS in the state I live in sell them). I sparge a bit slower, but have never had a problem with it completely sticking, and that's with 60% wheat.

I brewed stout today using 25% wheat malt and 10% flaked barley. I ran the base malt and the wheat malt through the mill twice. I was surprised I had no sparge problems. Efficiency was 75%.

Between the fine grind, wheat malt, flaked barley, and crushed roast barley I expected a nightmare.

All the Best,
D. White

I did 4.5 lbs each of white wheat malt and 2 row with 5 oz of rice hulls and that nailed it.

I do a 50/50 wheat to barley, and 1 lb does 4 batches so 4 oz for a 5.5 gallon batch. plus I crush my barley in my monster mill but run the wheat though a corona grinder IMO wheat doesn't crush well but grinds better almost to a coarse flour. never had a stuck sparge. But could depend on your system I use a stainless braid. A pound of rice hulls is a lot considering they weight nothing.

Back