Rice Hulls Needed for Wheat in Braumeister?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought stuff for a wheat beer this week, and I also got a Braumeister. I had read that rice hulls would not be needed with this machine, so I did not get any. Now I am reading claims to the contrary.

What's the straight poop? Is it best to get rice hulls just in case?

I still have time to find rice hulls elsewhere, or I can just go out in the yard and find a lot of small rocks. My LHBS is not all that "L," so I would have to buy online.

I use 8 lbs. of white wheat and around 3 lbs. of various barleys.

I was going to say you can try malt conditioning but then saw your recipe. I’ve never used that much wheat but you’ll definitely need some rice hulls since the wheat will just be dust.

could try crushing the wheat at 0.040", and the barley at 0.028"? might work......i'd imagine whatever, it'll get sparged, and be fun doing it!

Sadly, I bought crushed grain.

well all i'll say then, i've "MANAGED" to sparge a batch with 8lbs barley malt and 5lbs straight up white flour from the grocery store.....(this was in 7 gallon of water in a 10 gallon cooler with a bazooka tube...lots of Blowing though, it wasn't so bad i didn't do it again many times...)

Thanks. I'm using a Braumeister, so that's what the question is about. People on the web claim rice hulls are not needed with a Braumeister, so I am looking for confirmation or denial.

Para grandes quantidades de trigo ou aveia, considere adicionar enzima Beta-Glucanase no mash, evita aborrecimentos .

For large amounts of wheat or oats, consider adding Beta-Glucanase enzyme to the mash, it avoids hassle.

I brewed three wheat beers this summer: weissbier, weizenbock, shandy. I didn't need rice hulls for any of them. 50-60% wheat for each.
This recipe is 78% wheat, not including the rice hulls. Don't ask me why I went with this figure. I wrote the recipe in '04.

It was really good, though.

This recipe is 78% wheat, not including the rice hulls. Don't ask me why I went with this figure. I wrote the recipe in '04.

It was really good, though.
It will be a pain in the ass, give it a try and make sure you stir it up every 5-10 minutes throughout the mash. 20% of wheat or rye seem to gum up the braumeister but stirring helps.

Rice hulls just aid in the sparging since high levels of wheat in the grain bill "could" plug up, it prevents a stuck sparge. Wheat has high level of proteins, so the rice hulls makes the mash bed more porous so wort flows easier.

Not sure how this relates to your brew system. I use them anytime I have wheat in the grain bill.

They are cheap and add nothing to the flavor.

Latest posts

Back