Wheat beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T29

Wicked Hops Brewing
Reaction score
I'm using the coopers wheat beer but failed to add the dry malt as required so I added dextrose in its place. After a week in primary it seems a bit watery and the hydrometer reads 1.019. Did I ruin this batch? And my question is if I add Belgian candi syrup or dry malt at the end before bottling will this work?

I used the yeast that came with it so not sure what it is unfortunately and it's temp is 22c that's 71f I believe.

When you say you failed to add the Dry Malt, did you have it on hand, but forget to add it in time, so you threw the dextrose in later on? For future batches, you can add any malt extract as late as your flameout... a lot of people add malt extract right at the end for various reasons.

How much dextrose did you add? If you had added 1lb, it'll be a tab more dry than the recipe called for, but you probably won't notice a big difference. If you added 3lbs, I would guess it'll dry the beer out quite a bit, and I'd expected that it'll get down further than 1.019.

What do you want to add the candi syrup (or DME) for? If you're looking to use it to carb your beer, they should work, but make sure you use a priming calculator to figure out how much to add.

It will be very dry and thin without the dry malt. Especially with adding the dextrose instead.

I don't know about adding things at this point. But, I would try boiling the extract in some water as little as possible and add it. You will probably need to wait for a normal fermentation cycle again.

It should be interesting. Certainly not what the kit should have made. But it will still be beer.

Thank you for the replys.

I actually got home after buying the kit and did not have the dry malt at the time so I just added the 1lb of dextrose to the boil.

It's smells great though but a bit light bodied and watery. I thought by maybe adding the dry malt or candi syrup at the end, as I have it now at home would help a bit with the end result and flavour. For priming that is.

I'm very new to this so I was wondering if it can be done without blowing my bottles up.

I did find a calculator which told me to add a cup or 2 of boiling water and wait till it comes to room temp close enough to my beers temp before adding with close to 1 cup of candi syrup to the primary and mixing then I can bottle it all.

Any thought would be much appreciated

I'd add a couple pounds of extra light DME in some boiled water cooled down & let it ferment out again. Just use dextrose to prime it. 2.6 volumes of co2 works great for wheat bers to me.

Should have added the DME to give it a better taste but forgot to get some when I got the kit. Beers finished and looks good but lacks flavour.

Added honey orange peel And coriander at the end of fermentation but did not come out the way I hoped for. Live and learn I guess. Now I know for next time.

Belgium candi syrup worked great for priming And have it a nice extra flavour!

Beer looks nice though I think

image-3052893213.jpg

Back