What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
BA Political Science - UBC '07
I now work for Swagelok, a US manufacturer, some of you may know, in the business of fittings, valves, regulators etc.

An engineer at my job talked to me about homebrewing before I started.

With all of the cool gadgets and stuff, I can see the attraction for that type.

Guilty as charged. Systems Engineer in IT. Specifically data storage for large companies. I find home brewers are my kind of people. They are smart, generally like to build and create stuff, AND THEY HAVE BEER.

BFA in Fashion Design with primary focus on pattern drafting; so no engineer here. I have however used computer based pattern drafting software...but I don't think that counts.

...I just like beer.

B.S. in Neuroscience and did bench work for a little while. Then, I was a patent attorney. Now, I handle commercial real estate legal work. I keep getting further and further away.

I do love to cook, though.TL

What? Another homebrewer and amateur chef who also practices law?

I'm glad I'm not alone.

well besides the being in college for RDB (resource drilling and blasting) Im a musician. although sometimes i pay to play but i dont give a care i love it!

Nowhere close to being an engineer, Graphic Designer actually. Trying to go pro through the ABG apprenticeship in a couple years though. And I can't cook at all. My brewing buddy is a professional chef, so that can count somewhat.

Will be graduating from Michigan Tech in May 2010 with a BS in Biology (Microbiology), and minors in Biochemistry and Bioprocess Engineering (I have to take one chem eng class, so that makes me an engineer :p).

1. Educated as a civil engineer (BSCE '96 Univ. of Iowa - Go Hawks!)
2. Worked in civil engineering
3. Educated in business and finance (MBA and MS in Finance)
4. Worked in finance
5. Now returning to civil engineering

...not that big of a cook

Cook, handyman, Maintenance Technician (fancy term for groundskeeper/contractor), mechanic, ect. Good with my hands, just never got a degree for it.

Theoretical Physics student - it's like Physics without getting your hands dirty in the lab! So I make up for it with brewing. I love to cook too.

Machinist here, so I work with engineers every day.

But both of my kids and my SIL are the only true engineers, mechanical.

getting a phd in horticulture (turfgrass science), used to be a turf manager for quite a few years before going back to school.

IMO, most engineers need a flow chart just to take a piss!

Kidding, kidding, I swear.

My Dad worked at Kodak for 40+ years and constantly bitched about engineers.

I work for a non-profit (Adirondack Mountain Club), and many of our volunteers are engineers. Maddening to work with them. Nice folks, though.

I have this feeling that a large percentage of homebrewers are engineers. I was just wondering how large.

'92 BSME from Mich Tech U.

I was wondering how enlightening a conclusion can be that divides the world up into these two categories.

"The World: butter eaters and the rest."

"The President: clueless or a tool?"

"The CIA: criminals or traitors?"

There seems to be a "forced choice" fallacy in all of these, somehow.....

Me: retiree or brewer; you decide.

Latest posts

Back