Whats your ethnicity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your Ethnicity?

• African American

• Asian

• Caucasian

• Hispanic

• Latino

• Middle East

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a descendant of the Scotch-Irish lot that invaded this fair land and mistreated the native inhabitants. That was before I was born. Not too far before I was born, but some...

Well in my situation only knowing of white homebrewers isn't a surprise.
First off, I don't know many other people who homebrew.
Second that's the majority of the people in my hometown and in the town where I go to a brew store.
The non whites are are mostly mexican or asian who are first generation in this country so they haven't adapted to American leisure activity that much. If they are brewing, I'm sure that many of them would be doing something similar to whatever they did at home, and that wouldn't involve a brew store.

I would bet that if the store I go to was in an area with similar economic area but with a different racial makeup, you would see about the same number of people but they wouldn't all look like me ( except I don't have a beard like the rest of the people in the homebrew store, even some of the women! ).

Maybe dumb question, but what's the difference between Latino and Hispanic?

In brief If you come from a part of the former Spanish Empire or if you come from a other (non formerly ruled by Spain) part of the of the Caribbean/South/Central America.

You should google it, for a full explanation, its kind of complicated

Your latino if you are from Brazil or French Guiana or Haiti
Your Hispanic if you are from Cuba, Mexico, Argentina

My dads side of the family is Scotch-Irish, Part of my Mom's side came on the Mayflower (so they were run out of England and Netherlands)
My wife traced my dad's side of the family back to the late 1600s when there was only a few thousand people in America. Maybe our ancestors knew each other.

In brief If you come from a part of the former Spanish Empire or if you come from a other (non formerly ruled by Spain) part of the of the Caribbean/South/Central America.

You should google it, for a full explanation, its kind of complicated

Your latino if you are from Brazil or French Guiana or Haiti
Your Hispanic if you are from Cuba, Mexico, Argentina

I guess if you have to ask, you're definitely neither.

Northern English here with a bit of Irish and Scottish. All but one of my grandparents were born over there, and the one who wasn't, his parents were. All still have heavy accents (edit: the ones who are still breathing, that is). My entire non-immediate family lives in the UK.

Seems the brewers in this area are a little more diverse, but then again this is one of the most diverse areas in the country. And it's still a predominantly white male game.

Qhrumphf said:
Northern English here with a bit of Irish and Scottish. All but one of my grandparents were born over there, and the one who wasn't, his parents were. All still have heavy accents. My entire non-immediate family lives in the UK.

Seems the brewers in this area are a little more diverse, but then again this is one of the most diverse areas in the country. And it's still a predominantly white male game.

Northern English... Definitely the best kind of English

Northern English here with a bit of Irish and Scottish. All but one of my grandparents were born over there, and the one who wasn't, his parents were. All still have heavy accents. My entire non-immediate family lives in the UK.

Did I mention my grandmother was a Wallace? :cool:

I'm American through and through. But my ancestory is half Irish and half German. Guess that explains the drinking.....:mug:

I'm American through and through. But my ancestory is half Irish and half German. Guess that explains the drinking.....:mug:

It also explains a great many other things... :eek:

Got Polish and Russian (Jewish) in me. :rockin: Might be part of the reason I enjoy the winters so much more than summers. :D

American Whit Male. 43. I'm guessing I'm middle of the road homebrewer.

My ancestry is high in German, bit of American Indian.

I have several jokes that could be told about all kinds of people, but I shall refrain since ethnic humour is frowned upon at this establishment.

Ok, just one:

Q: Why aren't there any Irish Homebrewers?
A: Because they are all too busy getting drunk on whiskey and fighting each other.

Half Czech from my dad's side and half Mexican from my mom's side. New term, Czexican.

My pops is from Guyana which is in south america. The people there either look black ( from African slave trade) or Indian real Indian not the politically incorrect term we use here towards our native Americans. And my mom is from jamaica.. Think I have the most pigment in the thread so far lol... Anyways I know a couple black dudes that brew a bunch of Hispanic and Asian.. It's about the love of brewing as to why I do it. Not the only thing I ve done that people of my color seem to not be so into.. Buts that's never stopped me, in a way it's like a privilege, blazing a trail for others to walk upon. Cool thread

Caucasian, but probably the biggest mutt here...

English, French, French-Canadian, German, Russian, Polish, Scottish, and Sioux Native American. Our lineage in the US and Canada goes back to the early 1700s.

I'm 100% Spanish, as in Spain. All my Grandparents were born in Spain, all in Andalusia as a matter of fact, and both couples ended up in the Detroit area, my mom and dad met at a Spanish dance at the local Hispanic social club. Whoever introduced them evidently did so because they were curious if their parents, being all from the same area knew each other. Which they didn't. So I am a pureblood spic.

The NYC area has plenty of active minority brewers. My club has a Mexican member and has had black members in the past. At every event, there's always been minority participants. Obviously home brewing makes us ALL minorities of the general public, and so in areas with less minorities in general, they'd be far less well represented within our hobby.

It's no secret that stereotypes really do dictate our futures! (Dave Chapelle)

Homebrewing is definitely among the "mostly white" past-times....

Finding a dark skinned dude in a homebrew shop is as difficult as finding an African American woman at a country music concert.

I am puerto rican all the way. But my family calls me "americanized". My little sister and I are the only ones (that I know of) that have "mixed" children. What can I say, I like the white ladies! HAHA

I just can't resist posting links to a few recent discussions of the "white folks claiming Native American ancestry" topic. Turns out (see the study referenced in the Slate article) that for many people who think that "way back somewhere I've got Native American blood," it may not the case.

Full disclosure: I'm a white American guy, but there's a strong family belief that somewhere back on my dad's side there is some Native American, Blackfoot to be exact. As you might suspect, I'm a little skeptical, in spite of my somewhat-darker-than-your-average-white-guy complexion and somewhat-higher-and-broader-than-average cheekbones.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ican_how_many_people_have_that_heritage_.html

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/07/154519834/proving-native-american-ancestry-can-be-tricky

I just can't resist posting links to a few recent discussions of the "white folks claiming Native American ancestry" topic. Turns out (see the study referenced in the Slate article) that for many people who think that "way back somewhere I've got Native American blood," it may not the case.

You can tell that to my great grandfather born in the late 1800s. His face looked like the dude on a Buffalo nickel. He had two fullblood Sioux parents from North Dakota, whose parents' parents were also full blood Sioux. Therefore, my GG was 100% Sioux Native American. He fell in love with a French-Canadian woman to produce my Grandpa. Now this would only make me a measily 12.5% Sioux, but I'm still very proud of knowing my family history. Though it's not as if I'm claiming any reparations ;) I'm just a white guy.

Firstly, discussion of race and racism are not one and the same. Racism is forming a group of assumptions about people, either individually or as a group, due to their race. Using the term "racism" in a flippant manner in an attempt to discredit those who use the term in an effort to combat it (racism itself that is, not the term) is childish and frankly, stupid. Not to mention it is a terrible rhetoric tool.

I've often found the fact that the number of people of color brewing is far lower than that of caucasian brewers something of a headscratcher. You are likely to find more white folks at a country western concert because country music sprung up out of certain cultural groups and geographical areas. You're likely to find Jamaican Americans at a Jamaican restaurant (assuming its GOOD Jamaican food). But brewing? Every culture on the planet that I can think of has or has had a cultural history of brewing fermented beverages. Why does this change in the confines of the US? Even more strangely, why are most brewers that I meet either in person or online under 50 years old? There are exceptions of course, but Id say that the mean age of brewers in the States at least is in HIS (we established most brewers are male) mid thirties to early forties...

I simply don't have a good hypothesis for this.

Oh, I'm 3/4 Sicilian American and 1/4 Polish American. White aside from my cheeks, which are red due to dermatitus rosea.

I hate to be that guy, but hispanic is not an ethnicity.

If I recall correctly, according to the Census, Hispanic is indeed considered an ethnicity. It's not considered a race. And if you interpret the difference is biological vs. social/cultural, I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Edit: now that I'm thinking about it, "Caucasian" is a race, not an ethnicity.

But ultimately I think that's a semantics argument.

Even more strangely, why are most brewers that I meet either in person or online under 50 years old? There are exceptions of course, but Id say that the mean age of brewers in the States at least is in HIS (we established most brewers are male) mid thirties to early forties...

I simply don't have a good hypothesis for this.

I think there ARE older brewers, but not online. My dear friends from Texas brew, and I didn't met them until I kayaked by their house and saw a corney on their deck, so I made sure to go meet them! It turns out that they've been brewing a long time. He's 65, she's about 62. They are well educated (retired teachers), but not online. They are not here on HBT, and they have no idea that I'm a moderator of such a forum. So I think that there are still alot of "older" brewers, but not online. That might be one reason- younger people are more likely to be online on forums and finding their knowledge on the internet.

When my Texan friends came to visit in October, I walked them through an AG batch and gave them a couple of Igloo MLTs. SHE was actually the one who wanted to brew, and learn AG, and not him. I don't know why that surprised me, but it did! She sent me a photo about a week ago of her first AG batch! When we get to Texas in January, I can't wait to try her beer! (both white as snow, by the way!)

Anyway, I think more women brew than we think because they aren't as active on forums dominated by males.

When you think about it, this forum is very geek-heavy. I mean that in the most loving way! Many of our active members are engineers or IT folks. This forum appeals to the geek/nerd type I think. I do think the Coopers/John Bull/Mr. Beer type of brewing appeals more to the rest of homebrewers.

Because the IT/engineer/geek types tend to be better employed, it's not likely that I would bump into them at places like the NHC. The stuff I do (beer travels, NHC, buying bling) is probably prohibitive cost-wise for the average homebrewer. I think that maybe is why I don't know too many "blue collar" type of brewers. I think they are out there, but not so much on the forum and not going to the NHCs and such. I think they may be buying beer kits, and making them, though!

In my studies of world history (3.7 GPA in History and American Studies. Also, I'm reasonably intelligent :cross:), the best answer to "what is the difference between the terms hispanic and latino?" is "only one of them was part of a PR campaign". Right around the time of the American Civil War, the French Second Empire invaded (or "intervened" as it has been coined in history books) Mexico, having had formed a pact with the Spanish and English (both of whom pulled out of the debacle when they realized France looked to take over the entire country, rather than a small part).

The word "Latino" was coined by the French, who sought to calm the fears of the Mexicans (particularly the Mexican nobility) that would typically follow a foreign invasion. "We all have Catholicism and Latin in common! We are all Latinos!"

This went over like a lead balloon. The French were expelled from Mexico, the papacy backed the new Mexican empire (and chastised the French). Only the term "latino" is left in Mexico to show for the ordeal.

By the way, at the time, President Lincoln issued something of a plantiff "heeeeyyyy... cut that out...." to France, but could not commit troups (he was a bit busy at the time). That's another story.

Full disclosure: I'm a white American guy, but there's a strong family belief that somewhere back on my dad's side there is some Native American, Blackfoot to be exact. As you might suspect, I'm a little skeptical, in spite of my somewhat-darker-than-your-average-white-guy complexion and somewhat-higher-and-broader-than-average cheekbones.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ican_how_many_people_have_that_heritage_.html

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/07/154519834/proving-native-american-ancestry-can-be-tricky

Maybe- but here's the thing. My mother's family is originally from the south. We definitely had African and Native American (my grandma was part Shawnee). But since it was absolutely taboo for the races to mix, anybody who was dark was "French". One was "Hungarian" and she looks exactly like a Mayan from the Yucatan. Sure, there were whispers, but if you could "pass" you were fine. I remember a cousin being born, and my grandma (the white grandma), seeing the baby and saying "Oh, good. She can pass.". "Passing" meant being able to pass as a white person, of course.

I remember colored and white movie theatres, and colored and white water fountains. If you were "colored" at all, you were NOT white.

And so we were all white, but some of the darker members of my family were "French" or "Hungarian". To admit you were part Native American meant no job, except as a maid or hired hand.

I think there ARE older brewers, but not online. My dear friends from Texas brew, and I didn't met them until I kayaked by their house and saw a corney on their deck, so I made sure to go meet them! It turns out that they've been brewing a long time. He's 65, she's about 62. They are well educated (retired teachers), but not online. They are not here on HBT, and they have no idea that I'm a moderator of such a forum. So I think that there are still alot of "older" brewers, but not online. That might be one reason- younger people are more likely to be online on forums and finding their knowledge on the internet.

When my Texan friends came to visit in October, I walked them through an AG batch and gave them a couple of Igloo MLTs. SHE was actually the one who wanted to brew, and learn AG, and not him. I don't know why that surprised me, but it did! She sent me a photo about a week ago of her first AG batch! When we get to Texas in January, I can't wait to try her beer! (both white as snow, by the way!)

Anyway, I think more women brew than we think because they aren't as active on forums dominated by males.

When you think about it, this forum is very geek-heavy. I mean that in the most loving way! Many of our active members are engineers or IT folks. This forum appeals to the geek/nerd type I think. I do think the Coopers/John Bull/Mr. Beer type of brewing appeals more to the rest of homebrewers.

Because the IT/engineer/geek types tend to be better employed, it's not likely that I would bump into them at places like the NHC. The stuff I do (beer travels, NHC, buying bling) is probably prohibitive cost-wise for the average homebrewer. I think that maybe is why I don't know too many "blue collar" type of brewers. I think they are out there, but not so much on the forum and not going to the NHCs and such. I think they may be buying beer kits, and making them, though!

All very interesting points, Yoop. I spend most of my time in NYC, so my experiences with brewers in real time is influenced by that fact.

Yooper, my first partner at work who is a brother to me (different from like a brother), is adopted from Honduras and is 100% Mayan. He's very proud of his heritage and very active in Native American groups locally and nationally. I have two daughters and my wife decided she definitely does not want to go through pregnancy again, but we may adopt a son in the future, and both agreed because of my brother we would adopt a Mayan from Honduras.

Back