What's your current favorite beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper1

Reaction score
I know my favorites change often, and I'm still really into IPAs but after coming back from Europe and drinking a ton of great German lagers, I'm finding that I really like the crispness of some cream ales right now. Still, my current favorite has got to be Surly Furious. (Not my photo, found it online)
beer.jpg

It's got a very firm bitterness, and lots of hop flavor and aroma, and with a significant amount of crystal malt for a hint of sweetness to balance it. I normally don't like IPAs with that much crystal malt, but I love this one and the balance of it.

Do you have a current favorite "go to" everyday drinker?

These threads are the reason I left BeerAdvocate.

Sorry to hear that. I really love having people share their "regular beers" with me, beers I may not have tried before or seen in my area and I like talking about new beers (well, new-to-me beers). Good thing there are hundreds of other threads that you do like!

Depends on what I'm doing and where.

My preference is definitely towards canned beers due to working either in the shop or in the pastures when I'm home. Right now, I'm drinking a lot of All Day because it's cheap, low abv, and tastes great.
I also drink a lot of Coors light, but no one here cares bout that.

No IPAs at our cottage tonight (someone drank them all), so having a cream ale that I made about two months ago:

EA5BFDAA-F053-4D63-A071-4629BA49CA8A.jpeg

(Please ignore the Ugly Lamp in the background. My mother made it in the early 70s before she died, and I drew the short straw and had to get it when my dad died. It’s at the cottage, mostly in the dark, so nobody gets to see the awesomely bad turquiose/brown/orange colors to the tasseled overlarge shade. ). The Ugly Lamp is an heirloom that will be forced upon my heirs upon my death.

No IPAs at our cottage tonight (someone drank them all), so having a cream ale that I made about two months ago:

View attachment 65

(Please ignore the Ugly Lamp in the background. My mother made it in the early 70s before she died, and I drew the short straw and had to get it when my dad died. It’s at the cottage, mostly in the dark, so nobody gets to see the awesomely bad turquiose/brown/orange colors to the tasseled overlarge shade. ). The Ugly Lamp is an heirloom that will be forced upon my heirs upon my death.
One of the things you'll learn as you hang around here more is that most of us are probably more interested in the lamp than we are in the beer.

Buncha weirdos, we are.

View attachment 65

You're the person every member in my family hates.
Theres a 40 someodd year old Christmas card floating around that everyone hates to receive, yet it continues to be sent out every year.

One of the things you'll learn as you hang around here more is that most of us are probably more interested in the lamp than we are in the beer.

Buncha weirdos, we are.

See, then by my reckoning, I fit right in.

When I was young, I might have been a little weird. But when I got older, I graduated to the awesome “eccentric”.

The only good thing about getting older is being eccentric and no longer weird.

That, and not having to work. That might be better but it’s a close call.

Buncha weirdos, we are.

Oh, by the way, I have more beer photos. And more Ugly Lamp photos.
I figure my grandsons could inherit the Ugly Lamp, and when they get married they have to force it on their families as a “family heirloom”, right? I mean, it’s already more than 40 years old and I might live another 25-30 years, so it would be horrible to just trash it. And even though it’s never going to be back in style, it will be “an original antique”, so there you have it.

Luckily, my husband is color blind so he doesn’t know it’s orange and brown and turquoise. And HUGE, by the way. This thing is over three feet tall.

Back