What's your cost of a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I paid $37, for a extract kit at my lhbs. It is a jack pine savage ipa. Hoping to brew it this weekend.

So the verdict is go all grain and buy bulk. I am sure I can find a list of recipes to find some common base malts but how long will the grain store? I was thinking of getting either buckets with lids...is there a better storage method? Buying in bulk...so do most base grains come in 50 lb bags? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of all grain. I'm wanting to ditch the partial mash :) I also have been doing the BIAB with partial mash kits and plan on doing that for the all grain as well due to space issues. Same with hops....how long will they last in the freezer? Thanks!

Even without buying in bulk or crushing my own grains I can buy the stuff for most any 5 gallon batch for $25 to $35 since I started reusing yeast.

Maybe partial mashing (BIAB with grains and add extract to ratio as desired) could cut costs down.

AG is a lot cheaper from consumables standpoint. Now if we factor capital expenditures into the equation...

So the verdict is go all grain and buy bulk. I am sure I can find a list of recipes to find some common base malts but how long will the grain store? I was thinking of getting either buckets with lids...is there a better storage method? Buying in bulk...so do most base grains come in 50 lb bags? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of all grain. I'm wanting to ditch the partial mash :) I also have been doing the BIAB with partial mash kits and plan on doing that for the all grain as well due to space issues. Same with hops....how long will they last in the freezer? Thanks!

You could go to Lowes or HD, pick up their Food Grade buckets and Lids which are cheap, and store grains in those. Should last quite awhile unmilled. For me, I just rolled the bag up as I use it, and store it in a plastic tub with a lid. Hops should last pretty long in the freezer if you vacuum seal them, or put them in freezer bags, and push all of the air out.

My most recent batch cost me $51.55 because I had vanilla beans, vanilla extract, & cinnamon sticks on hand. Definitely not as cheap as all grain. My LME cost me $28 alone.

A great many of my IPA's, with a good supply of hops, cost me $25-$30. I buy my grains and hops in bulk and wash my yeast and brew 6 gallons.
Compared to bombers I like and pay $7.99 for, it's a steal!

Do you want to know what the ingredients cost or what I spend on a typical trip to the LBHS? Those are far different ;-)
I use mostly homegrown hops so my house IIPA is about $28 for 6 gallons. I consider the propane part of the BBQ budget so that doesn't count ;-)

If you want to save money by brewing move to Canada where the beer in stores is 2x the cost and voila!

Back