What's your beer choice for Shotgunning a Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarborTownBrewing

Reaction score
This past weekend, it happened to be a Founders All Day IPA.

Okay, maybe not the best choice of my adult life, but it's the only can I had handy.

Next time I'll stick to BMC-types!

I don't think the beer choice was a poor decision, I like that one. Shotgunning though, we'll I'm too old for that.

Ditto on this one. I find enjoying the beer slowly keeps me upright and functional.
Plus I enjoy the drink..shotgunning it would just ruin it.

Ditto on this one. I find enjoying the beer slowly keeps me upright and functional.
Plus I enjoy the drink..shotgunning it would just ruin it.

Shotgunning is a party stunt for college kids, definitely not about enjoyment of the beer. If you're determined to continue the practice after graduation, you'll want something relatively smooth and definitely cheap, like a Coors or Geneseee Cream Ale (light beers are too carbonated IMO). I couldn't justify wasting a Founders All Day IPA in that fashion -- too tasty (and pricey) for chugging!

go big or go home

fosters-oil-on2.jpg

I have also never shotgunned a beer and don't aim to start now. In my "drink to get drunk" days I pounded rum and cokes to oblivion and killed cases of Coors Light in a sitting. These days I'll sip a scotch or enjoy one or two craft beers and call it a night. I got out of my 20s and hangovers started actually hurting.

If you want to get drunk fast, PBR is the best to shotgun. Comes in 16's and is cheep at 5% abv.

Apparently Michelob Ultra was also involved in our weekend shotgunning shenanigans. That went down real smooth actually.

labatt max ice

no joking, a legendary but unknown below the parallel 40oz. the king of 40s in ontario

I cant remember the last time I shotgunned a beer. But nowadays, if Im drinking to drink, Ill abstain from shotgunning. I will drink enough as it is, and I dont think I need to expedite the process...

We shotgunned a lot of Busch in college.

This past weekend, it happened to be a Founders All Day IPA.

Okay, maybe not the best choice of my adult life, but it's the only can I had handy.

Next time I'll stick to BMC-types!

I thought people stopped this when they got out of their teens.

Alligators anyone? College days:
  • mouth on tap
  • open tap
  • count by saying "one Alligator, two Alligator, etc."
  • feel throat freezing over
  • resist urge to stop
  • end in victory
  • 22 Alligators

Other stupid waste of beer idea was "Beer Hunter", named after famous "Deer Hunter" movie Russian Roulette scene:
  • Get six pack on plastic ring holder.
  • remove one and agitate
  • replace on plastic ring holder
  • everybody takes arbitrary beer
  • pop can pointed at your temple
  • fun ensues

I'm too old for that crap now, but these were things we did before I ever saw anybody 'shotgun' a beer.

I learned how to shotgun a beer at my first job when I was 15. It was an oak furniture wear house type place called The Oak Post. I remember my supervisor was a little guy from St. Thomas who loved to drink beer. My job was to bring a purchased furniture item from the wear house to the persons car and load it up. My boss on the first day said, "ok, this is what you do... Grab the pick-up ticket, get the item and start to roll it up front. Before you go outside, come into the kitchen and shotgun a beer." Then then showed us the easiest way to do this. He grabbed an MGD out of the fridge, slammed a key into the side of it, cracked it open and chugged away. I never understood why everyone hated going to work. Work ruled!! haha. Needless to say that place went out business a Long time ago!

So, with that, MGD was always my go to. The old can. Mostly all black with little gold rings on the top and bottom of the can. It's been forever since I shotgunned a beer. I'm not above it though. Maybe the next time my best buds and I get together we'll all do one. It keeps you young! :drunk:

I learned how to shotgun a beer at my first job when I was 15.

So, with that, MGD was always my go to. The old can. Mostly all black with little gold rings on the top and bottom of the can. It's been forever since I shotgunned a beer. I'm not above it though. Maybe the next time my best buds and I get together we'll all do one. It keeps you young! :drunk:

That sounds like an awesome job; definitely never worked at a place like that. A buddy of mine was saying they have an initiation at his work where they have to drink a yard of beer and race the owner when they do it. Apparently you have to do it every time you go out until you beat the owner, and this guy can put it away quick. Plus they were doing this with Fat Tire. Anyways, my buddy didn't do it quick enough, plus he lost his dinner right after, so he'll be doing that one again.

I think I shotgun a beer once every year, when I'm at a cabin up north with some good friends I don't get to see often. I'm all about savoring craft beer and all that, but I won't pass up the opportunity to shotgun a beer with my old college buddies when I get to see them. Good memories and good times for all of us, and we'll do it as long we are able to. :rockin:

That sounds like an awesome job; definitely never worked at a place like that.
Yea, it was ok when I was pretty young. I made $6 an hour though...

I think I shotgun a beer once every year, when I'm at a cabin up north with some good friends I don't get to see often. I'm all about savoring craft beer and all that, but I won't pass up the opportunity to shotgun a beer with my old college buddies when I get to see them. Good memories and good times for all of us, and we'll do it as long we are able to. :rockin:

This! I hardly get to see my best friends so when we do get together it's fun to start things off right. I need to bring this up to them... Savoring the good stuff is fun to sip on and have some laughs but traditions are traditions and need to be treated as so! I'll shotgun to that!!

Latest posts

Back