Whats your AVG fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I've been curious about the temperatures that other brewers set their fermentation temps to at the beginning of fermentation process for an ALE, using a netural yeast like 05.

Say you've just pitched yeast and you're putting your fermenter into your temperature controlled fridge or whatnot - what is your avg starting temp of the environment?

I ask because my garage is pretty much a straight 56 degrees through out the winter. When I ferment at this temp in my garage, the ferment always seems a little sluggish - like it might be too cold. The thermo on the side of my ale pale says 60, so if I take into account the +10 degree rise inside the fermenter, I'm fermenting it at 70 - which is at the higher end of the 05 ferment range.

Should the environment be warmer, colder or do you think just right?

56 is pretty cool.

10 degree rise? i think that's a little ambitious. if the side of your ale pale says 60F, i bet your average beer temp is around 62F.

I had heard numerous times that the temp in a fermenter can be up to 10 degrees higher than the outside temp, but maybe you're right - that may be a little ambitious..

You confirmed what I was thinking, that 56 is too cool.

I ask because my garage is pretty much a straight 56 degrees through out the winter. When I ferment at this temp in my garage, the ferment always seems a little sluggish - like it might be too cold. The thermo on the side of my ale pale says 60, so if I take into account the +10 degree rise inside the fermenter, I'm fermenting it at 70 - which is at the higher end of the 05 ferment range.

Do you mean the liquid crystal thermo thats stuck to the side of your pail? if so, then 60F is what it is and you have a 4F increase from the 56F ambient. the higher the fermentation temp, the higher the temp increase can wind up.

i would say 61F is a good ambient ferment temp for most ales.

as soon as my dad welds up some thermowells for me, I should have some good temperature data to share.

I always keep my ales at 65-68 for fermentation. I try not to let it rise above that and I prefer the lower end of the scale [NOTE: This is personal preference not a "you must do it this way" thing].

I usually set my fermentation chamber (an old chest freezer with a Johnson Controls controller) about 60-62. I have a thermometer for ambient readings, but I rely on the stick on thermometer to gauge the temp in the fermenter.

If I'm using a german yeast, say WLP029, I shoot for 62-65 in the fermenter. HTH

So, my garage is 59 degrees. Sounds like that would be okay for most ales...I thought that would be too cold. I let a Stout ferment in the house and the stick on thermometer got about 74...the beer tastes great...but gives you a headache (only 5.4% ABV) so I'm guessing Fuesol (sp?) Achohol from too high a fermentation temperature. I have a recipe I'd like to do that recommends 67 degrees, I was going to put it in a back bedroom (house kept at 70) with the vent closed and maybe in a tub of water...do you think the garage would work better at 59 degrees ambient?

59F is a little low, but it'll be fine, just lower in esters. I'd just wrap it in a blanket or towel so once fermentation takes off it holds its temps through the slow periods.

I had heard numerous times that the temp in a fermenter can be up to 10 degrees higher than the outside temp, but maybe you're right - that may be a little ambitious..

You confirmed what I was thinking, that 56 is too cool.

In the summer, that's true. A "hot" fermentation causes the yeast to go crazy, making the fermentation even hotter which increases the yeast activity, which increases the temperature, etc. I've seen fermentations go 10 degrees above ambient, in the summer.

In a cooler fermentation, I see about 2-4 degrees difference between room temperature and fermenation temperature.

I ferment most of my ales using S05 at 65 degrees. Using Pacman or nottingham, I'll go to 59-60, depending on what I'm making.

So, my garage is 59 degrees. Sounds like that would be okay for most ales...I thought that would be too cold. I let a Stout ferment in the house and the stick on thermometer got about 74...the beer tastes great...but gives you a headache (only 5.4% ABV) so I'm guessing Fuesol (sp?) Achohol from too high a fermentation temperature. I have a recipe I'd like to do that recommends 67 degrees, I was going to put it in a back bedroom (house kept at 70) with the vent closed and maybe in a tub of water...do you think the garage would work better at 59 degrees ambient?

my basement is 59 degrees and that's where i ferment.

towards the end it starts to cool off, i have a heat element for when fermentation slows, to ensure it finishes.

63F for most of my beers until active fermentation starts to slow down, then I start to ramp up the temps. Depending on the beer & yeast of course.

So far I've done 56, 59, 62, 65, 68 and 72. I've liked 65 for most of the beers but hated 59 for US05. I think I stressed it too much and it through out lots of peach esters. If I do it again at 59 I would pitch two packs instead of one to counter the slower growth phase. I like some esters in my beers but for them to be compliments, not dominant.

If you can maintain like 55-60 I would try a scotch ale yeast. I've been dieing to try it at 55 or lower because of someone else who posted about it working good.

In this season, I chill to 65F, and after pitching I place in a room that is 50F. The ferment ends up at around 60-63 for the first 2-3 days. After that I bring out of the cold room into ambient 65-70F and let it finish. I never have wierd esters since I started doing this.

During the winter, I use my spare bedroom which varies between 60-65. During the summer when the house is 70+ (we don't have AC) I use my fermentation chamber which I keep around 65. I have yet to make a lager though that is next on the brew list after the DIPA I'm making tomorrow since my basement keeps between 55-60 and I should have no problems getting my fermentation chamber down to 50 or so.

Back