Whats up with all the Galaxy hopped beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
I personally don't see the appeal of Galaxy. Its not my go to when I think, "Man I really want a danky piney IPA" To me, it has a very distinct flavor to it and I'm just not a fan.

Then again, I was the same way with Sorahi Ace. I never liked that one either.

I've tried 3 local examples of Galaxy Pales, IPA's and a Session IPA.

i could see using Galaxy for some IIPA's, as I think a maltier or even sweeter taste might blend better, but for the Pale ales and Sessions, they come off tasting like its being dominated by the Galaxy hops.

Any thoughts?

Galaxy hops shouldn't be used for "dank piney" IPA's in my opinion. The ones out here that are Galaxy forward are more tropical, citrus fruit forward. Simcoe, Mosaic, Centennial, Cascade, Columbus tend to be in more piney and dank.

I'm a huge galaxy fan, but dank it ain't. Super fruity though. I usually pair it with something more dank, like Columbus. Not a fan of sorachi ace at all though. Everyone will have their own preferences. The great thing about craft beers and homebrewing. Options for everyone!

Try to get your hands on double dry hopped Congress street by trillium. That is my favorite showcase of Galaxy hops, better than HF double Galaxy in my opinion. If that doesn't do it for you then probably safe to write off Galaxy hops. I am that way with Nelson- it's mental for me. I loved Mo Shuggie by single cut till I read it had Nelson then it was ruined

Wierd, because the taste I'm getting from all these Galaxy beers are in no way tropical and fruity in anyway. I'm actually picking up a earthy flavor. The aroma smells a bit fruity, but all in all they have not been impressive:

Here are 2 I've had:

Veracious Brewing Co. Monroe, CT: Andromeda - Galaxy IPA. I didnt taste melon or fruit at all in it. Someone even said it slightly resembles Tree House... I've had Treehouse beers, no where even close.

New England Brewing Company. Woodbridge, CT - Galaxy Pale Ale. I again didnt taste the fruit up front.

Might be my palate is way off, but I can detect citrus and fruit whenever I use Citra hops. Could have just been a bad day when I tried these.

probably not good examples of citrus forward IPA's...do you know the malt bill for those beers?

anyone ever brewed a galaxy/mosaic pale ale? maybe with some citra too? or would all of that just be overkill and too complex?

anyone ever brewed a galaxy/mosaic pale ale? maybe with some citra too? or would all of that just be overkill and too complex?

I have. I used the mosaic as the bittering addition and whirlpooled and dy-hopped galaxy and citra in a 3:1 ratio.

One of the best pale ales I've made. 30 IBU's and pure tropical goodness.

Back