Galaxy + Sabro NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning a Galaxy + Sabro NEIPA brew day tomorrow. I've never brewed with Sabro but from what I've read it provides a coconut/cream flavor -- this may not be for everyone but I thought it would be interesting to try. Also planning to add some lactose, but likely will wait until post-fermentation instead of boil, and only add it as needed.

I am thinking a 60% galaxy / 40% sabro ratio for both my whirlpool and dry hop. Does anyone have experience with it? Should I dial back the Sabro more?

Also, in my experience, my NEIPA's have a little bit of a bitterness that I am trying to dial down. They still taste good and I get compliments on them, but I would like to try to improve it a bit. I am going to try whirlpooling a little lower @ 160F to see if this helps. I also do ferment + serve in the same vessel, and am wondering if maybe the hops being in permanent contact with the beer causes this? I drop pellets in commando for dry hopping.

Current plan:
Whirlpool - 3oz Galaxy / 2oz Sabro
Dryhop - 3oz Galaxy / 2oz Sabro

Here's my recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1241477

Last edited:
Looks like you may have already brewed this, but I did a very similar hopped beer 1.5ish years ago.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1014985/galaxy-sabro-hazy-ipa
I was right around 7% abv, 60ibus, and Sabro to Galaxy at 2.5:1 ratio. It was a pure coconut and orange cream treat. Around the 2 month mark of it being on tap, the coconutty cream transitioned into a more woody-like flavor and mellowed way out...assuming it was the typical NEIPA 'drink fresh' flavors fading a la oxidation.

Overall a great beer, but wouldn't brew it again since it was pretty intense working my way through a keg of it.

Thanks for responding. I did brew it and when I dry hopped on Tuesday I did do a taste test and so far so good. I did a 60/40 galaxy/sabro combo so hopefully the coconut will not be overpowering. I only got down to 1.020 and it has a nice sweet finish, which is what I was hoping for to avoid adding lactose. I'm hoping this is still there after the dry hop.

My 5-6 gallon batches usually do not last long enough to go bad, plus I keep my batches as O2 free as possible so there really isn't a possibility for oxidation.

The very first commercial ipa I had with Sabro I didn't care for, but I've since warmed up to it. I recently bought 8oz of Sabro LupoMax so I have to start thinking about how to use it. I wonder how it would be in a stout...

The very first commercial ipa I had with Sabro I didn't care for, but I've since warmed up to it. I recently bought 8oz of Sabro LupoMax so I have to start thinking about how to use it. I wonder how it would be in a stout...
I've been trying to get coconut (and chocolate) into a stout, and after failing earlier this year and dumping a keg, I've been hesitant to try again. Maybe the fruity flavor of sabro will be subdued by the roasted malts, and the coconut/cream will come through. I never thought to use a hop other than EKG/Fuggles in a stout.

I've been trying to get coconut (and chocolate) into a stout, and after failing earlier this year and dumping a keg, I've been hesitant to try again. Maybe the fruity flavor of sabro will be subdued by the roasted malts, and the coconut/cream will come through. I never thought to use a hop other than EKG/Fuggles in a stout.
I brewed the Left Handed Milk Stout clone three years ago and added some Apex/Silver Cloud Toasted Coconut flavoring at kegging. Nice chocolate/coconut flavor - think Mounds bar. To date it was one of the best and most popular beers I have ever brewed.

I brewed the Left Handed Milk Stout clone three years ago and added some Apex/Silver Cloud Toasted Coconut flavoring at kegging. Nice chocolate/coconut flavor - think Mounds bar. To date it was one of the best and most popular beers I have ever brewed.
For my batch of stout I added a few lbs. of toasted organic/unsweetened coconut, cacao nibs, and some organic vanilla beans. I am thinking I possibly didnt toast the coconut enough as it yielded none of the aforementioned flavors -- in an attempt to salvage the batch, I tried the Silver Cloud Toasted Coconut but I didn't get anything from that either.

I've read nothing but good things about the Silver Cloud flavorings, maybe I'll try this again and skip the adjuncts and use flavorings only.

For my batch of stout I added a few lbs. of toasted organic/unsweetened coconut, cacao nibs, and some organic vanilla beans. I am thinking I possibly didnt toast the coconut enough as it yielded none of the aforementioned flavors -- in an attempt to salvage the batch, I tried the Silver Cloud Toasted Coconut but I didn't get anything from that either.

I've read nothing but good things about the Silver Cloud flavorings, maybe I'll try this again and skip the adjuncts and use flavorings only.
Looking back through my notes, in mine I added 2 1/2 TBS to a 5 gallon keg. Seems like a lot, especially when compared to the mere 3/4 tsp of apricot flavoring I add to my 5 gallons of American Wheat. But I did a blind tasting between mine, Firestone's Coconut Merlin (milk stout), and Maui's Coconut Hiwa Porter, mine was right there with the other two.

*Sorry for sidetracking your thread.

Looking back through my notes, in mine I added 2 1/2 TBS to a 5 gallon keg. Seems like a lot, especially when compared to the mere 3/4 tsp of apricot flavoring I add to my 5 gallons of American Wheat. But I did a blind tasting between mine, Firestone's Coconut Merlin (milk stout), and Maui's Coconut Hiwa Porter, mine was right there with the other two.

*Sorry for sidetracking your thread.
Cool, I think I used around half the bottle last time so I still have half left. My current irish stout keg is just about kicked so maybe I'll plan for a chocolate/coconut stout next, I've been wanting to brew an imperial too.

Back