What's this? Looks like a chunk of brains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I'm 3 weeks into fermenting my lager using w-34 yeast. 3 days ago I brought it up to 70deg temp for a diacetyl rest. I am looking at the fermenter and I see these chunks of brain matter floating around. That's not something I've seen before, but I've only ever seen yeast rafts once before and they didn't look like this.

So what am I dealing with here?

View attachment 1484344309222.jpg

So should I try and squeeze some of that stuff into the bottle like the worm in the tequila? Or kill it with fire?

It's regular pale malt but I was aiming for a pilsner taste with saaz hops... so maybe it checks out.

BRAINS!

images

Looks like cheese curds!

Here's a brainy brew I made myself. There were kiwi floating under the krausen there, which gave it the odd surface. Kiwi Witbier.

kiwi-wit-7-67907.jpg

Holy crap. That looks like a Sam Raimi horror movie prop.

Yea... that's gnarly. I never had this until I brewed this lager... and controlled temps to 15C.... Does this happen because of colder fermenting? Or only lagers do this?

Not only lagers. The pic above was a saison I brewed with Czech Pils. It was fermented warm so it is not temp dependent.Clearest beer I ever brewed.

Latest posts

Back