What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made it through the Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon a year or whenever ago, although their sequel (with banana I think?) was godawful and got the sink treatment.

Most recently I dumped Southern Tier's 2XMAS seasonal beer. It tastes like a Hallmark candle, really atrocious (and I generally like Southern Tier beers, so I wanted to like this one).

I made it through the Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon a year or whenever ago, although their sequel (with banana I think?) was godawful and got the sink treatment.

The Bacon one was strange, but I didn't hate it. I thought the chocolate banana one or whatever was at least better than the Bacon donut one.

I shall not allow this thread to die!

At a recent beer festival, I had a Chocolate Peppermint Imperial Porter from One Trick Pony that was pretty atrocious. Not as bad as the bacon maple donut or Brian Boru, but had I not had those it would be right up there with worst ever.

One Trick Pony is a small brewery in the Chicagoland area that makes good beer but is very experimental and has it's share of misses.

Haven't read through the whole thread to see what everyone else has said but I was VERY disappointed by Flying Dog's Doggie Style Pale Ale...in fact I've found pretty much all their beers I've tried to suck, except their Wit and the Gonzo Imperial Porter.

To be fair I think I've only had like 2 others (sample 12 pack), but if 3 of 5 from a brewery that I've had suck, I'll pass on the rest.

Hinterland Saison - syruppy mess. Someone forgot to add the hops. I was really looking forward to The Bruery Six Geese-a-Laying this NYE. I bought it thinking it might have a nice sour taste given the gooseberries prominently mentioned on the label. Instead I got plums, raisons and a harsh alcohol bite. These are the only two beers that I have poured down the drain:(

I'd have to say any commercial style hard cider i have tried either from the states or abroad (only tried a few from abroad). They are not sink pours but why do they have to be so sweet. It's the new market apparently just like wine coolers all over again.

As far as beer I haven't enjoyed any milk stouts. I like sweet malty beers but the lactose is not the flavor for me. Although will be experimenting with it in a chocolate stout soon.

Rouge's gimmick beers are usually terrible. I couldn't make it through their peanut butter poop in a bottle or whatever it was called. They should head down to Funky Buddha Jan 11 and find out how to actually incorporate maple & bacon flavors!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh and I'm still upset I paid $14 for that banana nut funk they call a beer.

I had a Southern Tier 2X Stout the other day that was just awful. Tasted like burnt alcohol. Tried letting it warm up a bit and it never got any better. Don't know if I got a bad bottle or what but I ended up dumping over half of it. Shame too, because I've liked the 2 or 3 other Southern Tier beers that I've tried.

Rouge's gimmick beers are usually terrible. I couldn't make it through their peanut butter poop in a bottle or whatever it was called. They should head down to Funky Buddha Jan 11 and find out how to actually incorporate maple & bacon flavors!

I didnt make it through the Voodoo Bacon crap! It was horrible and therefore I wont try any other of their weird stuff...

Most recently I dumped Southern Tier's 2XMAS seasonal beer. It tastes like a Hallmark candle, really atrocious (and I generally like Southern Tier beers, so I wanted to like this one).

I didn't care for the Southerntier 2XMas either. I was told that they used figs.

Gotta chime in here. Anything by Brooklyn Brewing. Tastes like they are using water out of the Hudson. Not a big fan at all.

The only thing I've had from them is their Black Ops stout, which is a fairly expensive beer I think. It's one of the best beers I've ever had, but everything else is just too sweet and gross for me.

I had a Southern Tier 2X Stout the other day that was just awful. Tasted like burnt alcohol. Tried letting it warm up a bit and it never got any better. Don't know if I got a bad bottle or what but I ended up dumping over half of it. Shame too, because I've liked the 2 or 3 other Southern Tier beers that I've tried.

Yeah, I am not a fan of southern tier. They seem to overdo a lot of stuff. Pumking was terrible this year as well as warlok.

I'm not gonna speak for everyone, but for myself, I found it to smell like cough syrup, and not taste much better so I dumped it. I tried giving another to my friend who normally loves SA, but he dumped it down the drain as well. Third bottle went to my wife, who sometimes likes the "out there" fruit type of beer. Down the drain.

Fortunately, I only got them as part of a 24 pack, meaning I only had 4. I think my last one is a dumper, and I'll save that poor bottle.

I was also disappointed with Cherry Chocolate Bock from SA. Gets my vote for worst.

I liked Chocolate Bock a lot. Very sad that they ruined it with that overpowering cherry tartness. They are too heavy handed in their fruit beers in general, in my opinion.

Overall, I was displeased with Sam Adams holiday pack this past year. The previous year I bought a LOT of holiday packs from them - Fezziwig, Holiday Porter, Chocolate Bock, those were my faves. The shelves were almost always low on the holiday packs. This year, they're always stocked at the store, so I think consumers weren't thrilled overall. I think SA misstepped for 2013.

Their form letter response to my constructive criticism of their holiday pack choices pretty much cooled me to them, as well. It was something like "it's always hard to choose which beers are put into the packs, but if you try them we're sure you'll like them!" Umm, I did try them and was disappointed, which was the point of my feedback. Oh well, they've grown a bit too big perhaps.

Many of my friends were also disappointed that they got rid of Holiday Porter this year. I brewed my own clone of it - turned out great and there was much rejoicing!

Boatswain HLV by Minhas. I actually forgot how crappy it is and got it more than once, mainly because I am tempted by anything that looks half "crafty" and is $2.29/22oz at Trader Joe's (I just want the damn bomber bottle).

It has a nice, rich, nut brown look to it, but it tastes like rusted pennies. I don't think it oxidized on shelf, I think it's shipped like that.

Magic hat cucumber hibisicus beer ive never hade another beer with cucumber in it but this is the only beer I have ever poured down the drain absolutly discusting

I had a beer once when I was younger that I thought was awful! It was Old Scratch IPA I think. May have been a great beer but back then my palate was a little green.

The only other beer I can honestly say I poured down the drain was a Jalapeno Flavored Ale...I don't recall the brewer but it was F'ing bad!

I second the magic hat cucumber hibiscus. Gave the remaining few from the sampler pack to my brother, who'll drink anything, he took one sip and immediately dumped and put the last few in the back of the fridge for "unwanted guests."

I second the magic hat cucumber hibiscus. Gave the remaining few from the sampler pack to my brother, who'll drink anything, he took one sip and immediately dumped and put the last few in the back of the fridge for "unwanted guests."

I'm just shocked that anyone could look at something combining cucumber and hibiscus and NOT think that it would suck!

Haha yea I got them in the sampler as well. I pawned them off on my freinds as well, not one of them drank more than a couple sips. What I want to know is what brewer took a sip of that and decided that it was good enough to sell to the public. I gues thats why they put it in a sampler lol

Some 2011 Stone Double Bastard that was cellared by Stone showed up recently, and I bought a bomber. I've had the fresh beer once, and although I didn't love it, I thought it was alright and was interested to see what it was like with 2 years in the cellar. I kept it in the fridge a couple weeks, because it had some rather nasty floaties in it; these were the sort of dust-bunny looking brown floaties that unfortunately don't want to settle out well. On first pour, I almost dumped the bottle. Dear lord, I wish I had. The aroma was potent, and was entirely of death and decay. It smelled like a cardboard smoothie that had been aged for 2 years in a coffin with a fresh dead guy. It was absolutely abhorrent. Maybe if I weren't a homebrewer, I'd think this was an awesome smell. But I know what bad oxidative aromas are, and that's what this ghastly brew was pouring out like a nuclear power plant after an earthquake. Then, I made the mistake of tasting it. And I tasted it 2 or 3 times more, before it was clear that this godforsaken crap had to go. Like a fool, I poured it down the kitchen sink drain, so I could smell it for hours later. I should have chucked the entire bottle out of my back door, and then called a priest and a doctor to save my soul. Don't make the same mistake that I did.

I was also disappointed with Cherry Chocolate Bock from SA. Gets my vote for worst.

I liked Chocolate Bock a lot. Very sad that they ruined it with that overpowering cherry tartness. They are too heavy handed in their fruit beers in general, in my opinion.

Overall, I was displeased with Sam Adams holiday pack this past year. The previous year I bought a LOT of holiday packs from them - Fezziwig, Holiday Porter, Chocolate Bock, those were my faves. The shelves were almost always low on the holiday packs. This year, they're always stocked at the store, so I think consumers weren't thrilled overall. I think SA misstepped for 2013.

Their form letter response to my constructive criticism of their holiday pack choices pretty much cooled me to them, as well. It was something like "it's always hard to choose which beers are put into the packs, but if you try them we're sure you'll like them!" Umm, I did try them and was disappointed, which was the point of my feedback. Oh well, they've grown a bit too big perhaps.

Many of my friends were also disappointed that they got rid of Holiday Porter this year. I brewed my own clone of it - turned out great and there was much rejoicing!
Maybe something is wrong with me, but I kinda liked Sam Cherry Chocolate Bock. Perhaps it is inconsistent. I don't like most Sam beers, they are all too coppery to my taste - I have not brewed enough to identify what causes it, but I always feel like Sam's beers have a pretty signature hop profile.

Killian's is my favorite example of an inconsistent beer that I can explain to most people. Sometimes nice and malty, but mostly no malt flavor whatsoever and tastes skunky. It is even like this on draught. I used to keep Killian's as the bottom of the fridge beer for people who don't know beer. But that was years ago and I lived in a college town.

long ireland wet hopped ipa...bought a bottle last night it had a god damn gusher infection..i could not believe it..i sent them a email to let them know and all they said was "where did you buy it" i never bought a commercial beer that was infected...crazy sh@@

Buffalo Bayou - Smoke on the Bayou
Maybe it is just that I am not a fan of Scotch Ales, but Jesus that was bad. I owed my buddy a beer so I ordered us each one (at $12 a pop!) thinking it would be a nice thing to do. We sat in silence for about 5 minutes trying to just get it down so the money wouldn't be wasted.

I'm just shocked that anyone could look at something combining cucumber and hibiscus and NOT think that it would suck!

I don't know... New Glarus or Funky Buddha could probably make an awesome one.

I don't know... New Glarus or Funky Buddha could probably make an awesome one.

I agree, a good cucumber beer doesn't seem impossible to me (maybe super-dry wheat, light hops--maybe even a saison?). But I think it should be universally agreed that Magic Hat did not make one. That stuff sucks.

I agree, a good cucumber beer doesn't seem impossible to me (maybe super-dry wheat, light hops--maybe even a saison?). But I think it should be universally agreed that Magic Hat did not make one. That stuff sucks.

Cigar City's Cucumber Saison is a solid beer. Not amazing, but not bad! Pretty damn good in the heat. And yeah, a lot of stuff from Magic Hat could make this list!

I actually liked the cherry chocolate bock haha. This years SA winter sampler, which is one of my favorites, was pretty lack luster this year. Old Fezziwig was good as always, but I thought for sure the cherry chocolate bock would be terrible, but I really liked it.

Saranac Black Forest. Maybe not a craft beer, but by far one of the worst. Tasted like it had been brewed in an old tire. It had come in a mixed six pack I picked up to go hang with some friends. I literally gagged on it with the first pull. Everyone else who I had try it were grossed out by it as well. Went on to find the rest of the mixed six pack all smelled pretty bad and were equally horrible. They were supposed to be completely different beers too. Ugh.

Cigar City's Cucumber Saison is a solid beer. Not amazing, but not bad! Pretty damn good in the heat. And yeah, a lot of stuff from Magic Hat could make this list!

#9 was one of my early non-BMC beers, and I have to say it's still not that bad on tap (though pretty poorly balanced, overall). Over the years I have tried any number of Magic Hat beers and I have yet to find one that wasn't at least a little bit on the ****ty side. A few were, well, a lot on the ****ty side.

I wonder how you'd go about incorporating cucumber, though. They must use an alcohol-based extract, you can't boil it without killing that fresh flavor you want ("Pickle beer, yum."). You could probably clean up a puree with alcohol and add to secondary, I guess.

Saranac Black Forest. Maybe not a craft beer, but by far one of the worst. Tasted like it had been brewed in an old tire. It had come in a mixed six pack I picked up to go hang with some friends. I literally gagged on it with the first pull. Everyone else who I had try it were grossed out by it as well. Went on to find the rest of the mixed six pack all smelled pretty bad and were equally horrible. They were supposed to be completely different beers too. Ugh.

Sounds to me like you got an oxidized pack, especially since you say they all tasted the same. Saranac is if anything a little on the bland side usually--their Black Forest is usually a little flavorless, a somewhat boring American schwarzbier, maybe slightly sweeter and less roasty than I'd like. Passable for the price. No tire funk, unless maybe it sat in a hot storeroom. Dark beers oxidize the worst.

#9 was one of my early non-BMC beers, and I have to say it's still not that bad on tap (though pretty poorly balanced, overall). Over the years I have tried any number of Magic Hat beers and I have yet to find one that wasn't at least a little bit on the ****ty side. A few were, well, a lot on the ****ty side.

I wonder how you'd go about incorporating cucumber, though. They must use an alcohol-based extract, you can't boil it without killing that fresh flavor you want ("Pickle beer, yum."). You could probably clean up a puree with alcohol and add to secondary, I guess.

I don't recall if I've tried any of their other beers, but #9 was also an early "craft" beer for me. I swear it's decidedly different now than it was back in 2008 - I can't believe my tastes have changed THAT much, but whereas I used to like it, it'd probably make a top 10 list of worst craft beers for me now.

On using cucumber...I imagine you could probably puree or muddle some cucumber, maybe just gently crush them and throw them in a bag, and add to secondary after fermentation has mostly completed. There's a decent amount of sugar in there. Course, I hate cucumbers - one of few foods I just plain can't stand raw. Love pickles though...and I have to say if you muddle cucumber with some Hendricks gin, it's actually pretty decent.

Maybe a cucumber and juniper wheat...hmm...

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I don't even know how to adequately describe the fail. The only other time I've dumped a beer was Summer Shandy... I'm not sure which is / was worse.

God I thought I was the only one. That beer is terrible. I bought a six pack 6 months ago, had 5 left until the last UFC fight and pawned them of on drunk guests.

Back