What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with Young's (and the "double") has me thinking this is definitely a chocolate stout named for the chocolate in it, not just the roasted malt. It is gross-sweet, not just sweet stout sweet but cloying. I've had it from multiple sources, so I can't assume it's always been mishandled, but it really seems like "oxidized" is the profile they're shooting for. Or "discount rack dark chocolate".

It does have real chocolate and chocolate "essence" in it. But I don't find it sweet at all and nowhere near cloying. If it's that sweet to you, never ever try a Southern Tier Creme Brûlée Stout. It might kill you. ;)
It's interesting to see how tastes differ when reading through this thread. Some decent and good beers have been mentioned as some people's worst. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people that like the beer I consider to be the worst.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-adams-triple-bock/164/
How this has a 28 and not a 0 is beyond me. It was the absolute worst thing I've ever had the displeasure of drinking.

It definitely has real chocolate in it. But I don't find it sweet at all and nowhere near cloying. If it's that sweet to you, never ever try a Southern Tier Creme Brûlée Stout. It might kill you. ;)
It's interesting to see how tastes differ when reading through this thread. Some decent and good beers have been mentioned as some people's worst. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people that like the beer I consider to be the worst.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-adams-triple-bock/164/
How this has a 28 and not a 0 is beyond me. It was the absolute worst thing I've ever had the displeasure of drinking.

Funny you should mention that beer. Had a bottle when I was 17 in 1994. Found another bottle a month ago and had it again. It sucked both times. Like soy sauce and worscheshire mixed. Tasted the same both times as it was bad enough to remember the taste after almost 20 years. Though the nostalgia gave it a few points :)

I also read that they used the triple bock as a base for utopia (I think this years)

I'm not usually one to dislike beer... I can even tolerate BMC beers on a very hot summer day if I'm looking for refreshment.

Picked up a bottle of blue moon's tongue thai'd at Costco. It was a 22oz, Belgian wheat with lemongrass and thai basil. Around 7% I believe.

I didn't dump it, but really did not enjoy it at all. The basil overpowered everything else, not good IMO.

I'm not usually one to dislike beer... I can even tolerate BMC beers on a very hot summer day if I'm looking for refreshment.

Picked up a bottle of blue moon's tongue thai'd at Costco. It was a 22oz, Belgian wheat with lemongrass and thai basil. Around 7% I believe.

I didn't dump it, but really did not enjoy it at all. The basil overpowered everything else, not good IMO.

Watching MillerCoors try to make experimental craft beers is like watching an android learn emotion. What a mess.

Except its not an IPA...
It's not my favorite beer, but it's not bad and definitely isn't anywhere near the worst beer I've ever had.

I'm still fairly ignorant on beer classifications, as I've only been brewing for about four months and I've been living in beer hell (aka second-tier China) for the last seven years. Since it's a hoppy ale, and not too dark, I've always assumed it was an IPA. What makes it an "American Strong Ale" as I'm seeing it classified, as opposed to an IPA?

I'm still fairly ignorant on beer classifications, as I've only been brewing for about four months and I've been living in beer hell (aka second-tier China) for the last seven years. Since it's a hoppy ale, and not too dark, I've always assumed it was an IPA. What makes it an "American Strong Ale" as I'm seeing it classified, as opposed to an IPA?

It's supposed to mean it's rich and malty, but not as hoppy as an IPA, and not as "pale" as an APA. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

It's supposed to mean it's rich and malty, but not as hoppy as an IPA, and not as "pale" (or weak) as an APA. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php "Strong" ale includes barleywines, but stuff like Arrogant Bastard is well below that in gravity.

New Belgium's spring blonde ale is pretty terrible in my opinion. Tasted like an overcarbed bud light that was sprayed with lemon pledge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

The New Belgium and Cigar City Brewing collaboration in the Lips of Faith series. Awful. Recently split a 22 oz with a friend, and it was all we could do to finish.

Stone IPA gets mentioned multiple times in a worst beer thread.

Seriously amateur opinions.

I love watching the progression of new craft beer drinkers palates. 6 months from now these same posters will praising every Stone IPA made. Natural progression...

I don't remember what it was exactly, but it was a microbrew at some restaurant/brewery that tasted so extremely fruity it was overwhelming.

This may already be on here, too many pages to look through, and some people may like it, but Twisted Pines' Billies Chillies is the worst beer I've ever tasted. I live like 15min away from the brewery and wanna give it some home town love but no way. 4 of us passed around a bottle and we still dumped out half of it. Tasted like peppers ran through a juicer and mixed with alcohol to me. I know some people love it but it's not for me.

I love watching the progression of new craft beer drinkers palates. 6 months from now these same posters will praising every Stone IPA made. Natural progression...

That may be true (well, no, it's not), but "condescending *******" is usually a permanent condition.

Any Pumpkin Ale, especially Saranac's.

Any?? Most taste like the McCormick's pumpkin spice you find in your pantry from 1998, but there are some good real-pumpkiny examples for sure. Saranac's is not excellent though.

Do you dislike pumpkin in general? Or just in your beer?

I think about the only thing I've ever had pumpkin in was pie, I enjoy a piece now and again, but I just don't like my beer tasting like, well, pie.

It might just be me, and I can stomach a lot of pumpkin beers, but the Saranac one has been consistently God-awful.

Number one is Miller High Life (and it was warm).

Number two is a beer called La Roja from Jolly Pumpkin. It was sour as hell. Disgusting.

Number three has got to be Heineken.

Number two is a beer called La Roja from Jolly Pumpkin. It was sour as hell. Disgusting.

Dude La Roja is supposed to be sour and is delicious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Home Brew mobile app

One of these things is not like the others.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I tired Shipyard Mint Chocolate stout at a local restaurant and it is absolutely god awful! It smelled like spearmint gum after it's been stuck on a shoe for a week and tasted like it was fermented in a bathtub full of CoolMint Listerine.

I tired Shipyard Mint Chocolate stout at a local restaurant and it is absolutely god awful! It smelled like spearmint gum after it's been stuck on a shoe for a week and tasted like it was fermented in a bathtub full of CoolMint Listerine.

Shhhhhh! You gave away the secret recipe! :D

That's disappointing... I have a bottle in my fridge

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Dogfish Midas Touch...grape must and saffron. Thin, dry and saffron just doesn't work in beer, in my opinion. Bitter, but not in a hoppy, good way. Like to re-use their bottles, but really didn't care for the Midas Touch. Glad someone else spent their money on it!

Sour beers can be terrible if you don't like them. Had someone given me one 2 years ago I would've laughed at them, but now I like that (don't love them yet). Sofie is nice because it has that nice sour tartness that accentuates other flavors, but Petrus to me was just a lot of sour (almost single note). Some will call me a heathen for that, but oh well.

Point is, La Roja is supposed to be sour. It is one thing to be a hardcore connoisseur of the style and not like it, but an entirely different thing to not like sours and call it a terrible beer. A terrible beer is something that is bad, not a style you don't like. I don't like beers with fruits in them, but I know that Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is terrible. Does that mean I would come on here and call out a great wheat/fruit beer, no.

Also: Heineken and Miller High Life are not craft.

Sour beers can be terrible if you don't like them. Had someone given me one 2 years ago I would've laughed at them, but now I like that (don't love them yet). Sofie is nice because it has that nice sour tartness that accentuates other flavors, but Petrus to me was just a lot of sour (almost single note). Some will call me a heathen for that, but oh well.

Point is, La Roja is supposed to be sour. It is one thing to be a hardcore connoisseur of the style and not like it, but an entirely different thing to not like sours and call it a terrible beer. A terrible beer is something that is bad, not a style you don't like. I don't like beers with fruits in them, but I know that Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is terrible. Does that mean I would come on here and call out a great wheat/fruit beer, no.

Also: Heineken and Miller High Life are not craft.

Go back a page, Remmy forgot to press his "sarcasm button".

Southern tiers pumking. All I tasted was butter. I thought the taps had to be dirty to allow that horror out. Tried a bomber and my fear was confirmed as again I was drinking butter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

North Coast Brewery, Fort Bragg, Ca. Brother Thelonious Belgian Ale. I've had some rank beer before but this stuff would gag a hobo.

One of the worst craft beers we had lately was Southern Tier's 2Xmas. The bar was out of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, which we like, and had this one on tap in their spiced ale selection.

My wife ordered it as she likes spiced ales. Finishing that small 12 oz tulip glass took a major effort and stamina. My wife wanted to like it, I wanted to like it, but no go. We kept tasting to try to find something in there that was good. Nope! Nuttin'! I stuck to my carefully selected sampler paddle, which was awesome and neutralized that awful 2Xmas taste.

The mouthfeel was thin and it tasted very medicinal, not unlike bad cough syrup. We really should have sent it back. I can't imagine anyone ordering that a second time. :mug:

That may be true (well, no, it's not), but "condescending *******" is usually a permanent condition.

Sorry for the hurt butt buddy.

I don't have much respect for dissing a world class example of a beer style because you don't appreciate the style itself. Silly.

If that came off as condescending, so be it.

Back