What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just visited a friends house, while there he told me about a beer that his friend tried. His friend tried the beer and said it had a strong mushroom aftertaste, and gave a bottle or two to my friend to try. While I was at his house tonight, we tried the beer. Red Menace from Hales in Seattle. The beer definitely had a strong mushroom flavor to it. I only had a few sips, but possibly qualified as the first beer that I would have actually dumped out.

Motor city brewing works' ghetto blaster.... Shouldn't have even left the bottling plant. I had one at a place near home (in the bottle) and it was completely flat, not to mention oxidized. I figured it was a fluke and had the bartender swap it out with a fresh one. Same thing.

Everyone kept raving about Troeg's Mad Elf ale so I broke down and picked up a 22oz bottle. Evidently in this neck of the woods it's hard to get. I had to ask for it at the liquor store as they kept it hidden in the back. Thankfully, they didn't have any 6 packs left, only some 220z bottles. This has to be the worse "commercially available" craft beer I've ever had! It tasted like cough medicine. The smell was interesting but the taste...blech! Me and a buddy split it and both of us drank about half a glass each and dumped the rest. Oh well..at least I can say I tried it. I dunno...I like my beer to taste like beer...not something from the pharmacy.

pellis007 said:
Everyone kept raving about Troeg's Mad Elf ale so I broke down and picked up a 22oz bottle. Evidently in this neck of the woods it's hard to get. I had to ask for it at the liquor store as they kept it hidden in the back. Thankfully, they didn't have any 6 packs left, only some 220z bottles. This has to be the worse "commercially available" craft beer I've ever had! It tasted like cough medicine. The smell was interesting but the taste...blech! Me and a buddy split it and both of us drank about half a glass each and dumped the rest. Oh well..at least I can say I tried it. I dunno...I like my beer to taste like beer...not something from the pharmacy.
I am not a Big fan of it either. When they were in Harrisburg Pa, I visited them frequently. Those Trogner brothers do know how to make some stellar beers. But, with Mad Elf, I always thought it was a much better beer the first five of six years they brewed it. After that I though they over polished it. But every year the sheeple ohhhh, and aaahhhhhh over it and say its better the the years before. I got a case as a Christmas gift and stashed some of it under my bar for two years, (actually forgot about it), and it was a great beer, more like a barleywine.

PS: I do like a 50/50 mix of Mad Elf and Dream Weaver Wheat, it cuts the Elf, and packs a nice punch.

I am not a Big fan of it either. When they were in Harrisburg Pa, I visited them frequently. Those Trogner brothers do know how to make some stellar beers. But, with Mad Elf, I always thought it was a much better beer the first five of six years they brewed it. After that I though they over polished it. But every year the sheeple ohhhh, and aaahhhhhh over it and say its better the the years before. I got a case as a Christmas gift and stashed some of it under my bar for two years, (actually forgot about it), and it was a great beer, more like a barleywine.

PS: I do like a 50/50 mix of Mad Elf and Dream Weaver Wheat, it cuts the Elf, and packs a nice punch.
I have not tried it this year but last years was the tits imo. Sorry to hear that. You can send sum my way :) :mug:

My bottle shop had leinenkugel summer shandy for 2.99 a 6pk. I understand now why it was so cheap. Maybe it's just me but I could not drink this beer. I ended up drinking one and giving the rest way.

that's funny I had a party at my house around March or April and someone brought a bunch of this stuff over I tried one that night and hated it then I gave it another shot and again horrible. There was still 2 12 packs in my garage when I sold the house in August.

Any way I think the worst beer I've had has to be between two beers a friend and I tried
1) Ghost face killah couldn't drink it and dumped the bottle
2) was an orange creamsicle beer I don't remember what it was called but the label on the bottle looked like the clock work orange cover. it started out ok but then the more I drink the worse it got and that got poured out too

Motor city brewing works' ghetto blaster.... Shouldn't have even left the bottling plant. I had one at a place near home (in the bottle) and it was completely flat, not to mention oxidized. I figured it was a fluke and had the bartender swap it out with a fresh one. Same thing.

I bought that when I went up to Michigan for Christmas last year. I didn't dump it but I do remember it being pretty awful.

Oddly enough, Allagash White. I'm sure it was a bad batch that made it to the west coast, since I've had a good one since. It did skew me against Allagash for a good year or two...

Anyway, it was the strangest flavor I've ever had in a beer (and this includes Rogue's Voodoo series!). We bought a 4 pack, and each one tasted like the water left over after you boil hot dogs! Weird.

Lost Coast Brewery puts out a Tangerine Wheat that I can't stomach. I also don't like when macros go after craft drinkers. I find beers like Corona Familiar, Budweiser Black Crown, and Michelob Blue Moon to be insulting.

There is this place called Dempseys in South Dakota and they make the most disgusting beer I have tasted. Everything is old/stale and has bad off flavors of butter.

Sounds like someone doesn't know how to diacetyl rest.

New Belgium Coconut Curry was undrinkable in my opinion. Oddly enough every guy in our house thought it was awful, but the girls liked it! I can't quite figure that one out.

Woodstock Inn Brewery...all of them. Every year or so I'll see one I've never had and give them another shot.

Remember the scene in Elf when he sprays the perfume in his mouth? That is my reaction every time...

Crap I've been wanting to try that one :/

I'm not gonna speak for everyone, but for myself, I found it to smell like cough syrup, and not taste much better so I dumped it. I tried giving another to my friend who normally loves SA, but he dumped it down the drain as well. Third bottle went to my wife, who sometimes likes the "out there" fruit type of beer. Down the drain.

Fortunately, I only got them as part of a 24 pack, meaning I only had 4. I think my last one is a dumper, and I'll save that poor bottle.

Allergic2hops said:
Gotta chime in here. Anything by Brooklyn Brewing. Tastes like they are using water out of the Hudson. Not a big fan at all.

Funny you say that, I never tasted a bad beer from them. I think their Brooklyn black chocolate stout is stellar.

Replied to this thread about a year ago and I got a new one. Anchor steams porter. Omg awful. I didn't dump it but now I know what prunes dipped in Hershey syrup taste like. Wasn't to happy with their liberty ale either but not as bad as the porter.

RJ Rockers Brewing Company Gruntled Pumpkin ale.

ugh, never licked the inside of a pumpkin and now I don't have to.

Lost Coast Brewery puts out a Tangerine Wheat that I can't stomach. I also don't like when macros go after craft drinkers. I find beers like Corona Familiar, Budweiser Black Crown, and Michelob Blue Moon to be insulting.

That's funny.. I pour for them at some brewfests. The first time I poured for them I had never heard of the Tangerine Wheat. I was pouring a double Ipa.. can't remember the name now.. along with the Tangerine. I sipped a double while pouring..

Long lineup when we opened.. Big burly guys.. Lots of em.. along with the ladies.. What did they want? Tangerine. Couldn't believe it.. I bet I poured 7+ Tangerines to each double ipa. They just kept coming back for it. We ran out of a keg pretty quickly.But, not before I tried one. The tangerine.. wow.. on the nose as well as the mouth. What a lovely aroma. Couldn't believe how good and refreshing it was.

You live right there.. so, I can't blame it on being old.. Guess you just don't like what a ton of people seem to love.

I can't stand pum king not sure why it's so popular. The local stores ram out last year early and had a big demand so they l bought a ton thus year.... Still sitting in the shelves.

Drinking a Shiner Bock Kosmos right now. Tastes like someone farted on some dirt, then mixed it in with a really ****ty German Lager. Utterly Discusting.

Well I can think of far worse pumpkin ales, I like pumpkin ales but ive had some terrible ones and one of them being New Hollands Ichabod- tasted like soy sauce literally. Try that one you may have a new worst beer ever. Ive also had terrible luck with trying any New Holland beers for that matter. Ive had a few really good ones though one being the honey ale beer they have and possibly another.

Well I can think of far worse pumpkin ales, I like pumpkin ales but ive had some terrible ones and one of them being New Hollands Ichabod- tasted like soy sauce literally. Try that one you may have a new worst beer ever. Ive also had terrible luck with trying any New Holland beers for that matter.

Spice and beer rarely works out well.

Spice and beer rarely works out well.

If you hate Christmas seasonals it does. Its not rare they sell. And there are plenty of spicey type hops that work well in ales,ipas, all kinds of spicey type beers really. It seemed to be the thing to be in beer long before hops even came along also. In fact it was spices that was used in beer long before hops came along. Are hops better? yes, I think so too.

That's funny.. I pour for them at some brewfests. The first time I poured for them I had never heard of the Tangerine Wheat. I was pouring a double Ipa.. can't remember the name now.. along with the Tangerine. I sipped a double while pouring..

Long lineup when we opened.. Big burly guys.. Lots of em.. along with the ladies.. What did they want? Tangerine. Couldn't believe it.. I bet I poured 7+ Tangerines to each double ipa. They just kept coming back for it. We ran out of a keg pretty quickly.But, not before I tried one. The tangerine.. wow.. on the nose as well as the mouth. What a lovely aroma. Couldn't believe how good and refreshing it was.

You live right there.. so, I can't blame it on being old.. Guess you just don't like what a ton of people seem to love.

Oh yeah. The stuff is terrible. They make their Harvest Wheat, which lacks any character, then add tangerine flavoring in the bright tanks. I do live close by and the beer at Lost Coast Brewery is known by locals as being sub par. The artist behind their labels is a man named Duane Flatmo. He is worth an internet search. Many people attribute the success of the brewery to their branding and marketing. Not many people would say that their business is successful because of the beer they brew. There is a great beer fest put on every year called Strangebrew where, you guessed it, brewers make strange beers. One year, one of the brewers made a wheat ale and back sweetened it with Tang. Tasted next to each other, the "Tang" Wheat was better, but eerily similar. To each, their own. My dog turns his nose up to it. I think of a blend of 60% Heineken, 20% PBR, 18% Sprite, and 2% Tangerine Jolly Rancher. As to the "big burly guys" at your festival, you can't always account for taste. I took 10 gallons of beer to a festival once. Both five-gallon kegs were filled with the same base beer, but I had added a lacto starter to one as somewhat of an experiment. The experiment failed. That one came out funky and with a bacterial haze. The other five gallons was clean. The "big burly guys" liked the infected beer. I overheard someone say the they liked the "cloudier" one because it was "authentic".

"The fruit character should be pleasant and supportive, not artificial and inappropriately overpowering." -BJCP

For me it's Rogues Voodoo Bacon Maple Ale and 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon.

I finished the Voodoo, though I thought I was going to be sick. Not one single flavor in that beer tasted like Bacon, Maple, or Doughnut. But it was a gift so I finished it. The Hell or High Watermelon is the only beer that comes to mind that I've poured out and thrown the unopened ones away. I gave my dad two of them and 6 months later there's still an unopened one in the fridge because even my dad, who loves craft brews, said it tasted terrible and couldn't finish the first one.

Other than those two, I have liked most others I've had, even most of what others have mentioned on here.

kylevester said:
I'm surprised no oyster stouts have popped up. Maybe people are smart enough not to try them?.

I'll add that the oyster stouts I've tried have been just OK when cold but when drank at room temperature they are much better.

They almost change to a dry red wine, like a Malbec, to me.

Back