What's the trick for putting a new o-ring on taprite regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
So I noticed the other day when changing the co2 tank that the o-ring (it's the newer one with the red knobs - has no washer and is labeled as such) was damaged, and slightly leaking.

So I order some new ones, I pull off the old and the regulator has a circular groove that looks like the o-ring was pressed into....the new ones don't fit in that groove. Now after about 20 min of trying to balance it just right I got it on and I think it's sealed.

But why would you put a groove there if you can't fit the o-ring in it?

Yeah it's a little difficult to get on. Mine somehow came off when I first started using my regulator, I think because the regulator was in my keezer and the cold caused the o-ring to somehow stick to the tank when I disconnected them. Must not have been on very good. I remember having the hardest time figuring out how to put it back on but I think I just jammed it into the groove if I remember correctly. Haven't had any leaks so I reckon I got it back on correctly.

I didn’t jam it in there...I lined it up and screwed it tight. I suppose maybe that jammed it in there...I don’t hear any leaks and will soap it up in a bit but the gauges are holding steady after a few hours.

You have to remove that center post with an allen wrench, apply keg lube to the new gasket and insert, then install the center post again.
Good call, now that you mention it I think I did finally unscrew something to get the gasket back on. Obviously it was such a painful experience I blocked it from memory

I’ll be dammed. Wish I asked that question before wasting 3 o-rings

Thanks everyone!!

Back