Square O-Ring on Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today on the web, I saw some guy complaining about captive square O-rings on CO2 regulators. I wondered what on Earth he was talking about. How can an O-ring be square? Then I took my regulator off the tank so I could install a washer (something I had forgotten), and I saw a mashed-up O-ring imbedded in it. I tried to get it out, but it went nowhere. Suddenly it dawned on me: it was stuck in there because it was CAPTIVE, and it had a square CROSS SECTION. So I must have a captive square O-ring.

I don't think this thing is ever coming out without a lot of scraping. Do I really need to replace it, or can I leave it in there and expect a nylon or fiber washer to do its job for it?

I have a couple of regs like that (Micromatic and Taprite) and iirc that's termed a "quad seal" O-ring.
On both regs there is a screwed in brass bit that holds the O-ring in place.
I had one crack and used a fiber washer with the O-ring still in place. Held a seal just fine...

Cheers!

Often one can get away with a round cross-sectioned O-ring. Eg, the original O-rings used on cornelius keg dip tubes were quad seal/"square", but I wouldn't surprised if 90-something percent of them in use today are round. I haven't checked to see if that might hold for these coupler O-rings though :)

Cheers!

Today on the web, I saw some guy complaining about captive square O-rings on CO2 regulators. I wondered what on Earth he was talking about. How can an O-ring be square? Then I took my regulator off the tank so I could install a washer (something I had forgotten), and I saw a mashed-up O-ring imbedded in it. I tried to get it out, but it went nowhere. Suddenly it dawned on me: it was stuck in there because it was CAPTIVE, and it had a square CROSS SECTION. So I must have a captive square O-ring.

I don't think this thing is ever coming out without a lot of scraping. Do I really need to replace it, or can I leave it in there and expect a nylon or fiber washer to do its job for it?
The center of the nipple should fit an Allen wrench, remove that and replace the captive )-ring. I have one of these and I really do not like it I think mine is made by tap-rite. I also have the other style that uses a large polymer flat washer but it is a really cheap regulator which leaks when the cylinder pressure gets low (go figure).

Looks like the keg situation is working out. The seller said to keep the pin lock kegs with a full refund. I had told him they could probably be converted, but it looked like a hassle because I wasn't sure conversion parts I ordered would work, and he didn't want to get further into it. I was all ready to buy a box and ship them back, but he doesn't want them. Looks like he made a mistake and failed to refund about $37, but I don't want to be a jerk about it. For $25 each, including conversion hardware, I don't mind holding onto pin lock kegs.

I didn't know these things were pin lock kegs or that pin lock kegs were thicker and shorter. I had never seen one before, and they looked pretty much like my old ball lock kegs to me. Thinner kegs should make the keezer seem roomier.

I ordered 4 kegs from Cornykeg.com, but I think I'll try to convert the pin lock kegs anyway. I may want to own more than 5 kegs in the future. I have learned not to get rid of Corny kegs rashly. They keep appreciating.

Back