What's the point of soaking bourbon in chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkamillion

Reaction score
Just bottled my 35th all grain batch, but my first imperial stout to include oak chips and bourbon flavors. Every post I've read here and other forums assumes the best practice is to soak the chips in bourbon prior to adding to the secondary. As much as I'd love to use a whiskey cask to impart desired flavors (and it looks awesome), time and resources demand simpler measures.
What flavor differences might one expect if they simply add the oak chips to the secondary and then add the bourbon at bottling?

BTW, at bottling it was tasting fine, but I have another month of bottle conditioning to go :D

That, and to reduce the intense "BOURBON" and "OAK" flavors. They sort of work together and meld together and work.

Why not add bourbon soaked oak chips to secondary? I don't "get" that. It's not any more work, nor does it take longer. It's, um, like 7 days on the bourbon oaked chips, so it's not like it needs time.

I don't know why, but it seems to me that soaking the wood in bourbon brings out more vanilla flavor than otherwise. Maybe some smarter scientist type can elaborate.

Doesn't the oak help mellow out of the "Kentucky Hug" from the bourbon? Plus if you soak then pitch the bourbon you can get the taste of a used barrel without adding much alcohol content.

Also, I'm with Yooper, your using chips and really don't need to soak them long.

As for every recipe using oak calling for bourbon, I have seen a lot that don't. Many people char their cubes or chips and toss them in, and many use them steamed. I have really wanted to try out some good rum soaking as well.

I've only ever soaked mine for 1-2 weeks before using, and I tossed them in the primary. I'm not sure if there are any alcohol soluble only flavor compounds in wood or not but it seems like the bourbon and wood just go together. I'm sure you could skip the step and end up with a good product though.

I don't know why, but it seems to me that soaking the wood in bourbon brings out more vanilla flavor than otherwise. Maybe some smarter scientist type can elaborate.

My pure conjecture is that the higher alcohol content in the bourbon is a better solvent for the vanillin in the wood chips.

Thanks, all, for the great input. For me it is one more step and thing to track, but if there is a flavor difference then it is well worth it :)

Latest posts

Back