What's the difference between a Porter and a Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same really, originally the stronger porter was called a stout porter. Through time it was just called a stout...

I think one difference is mouth feel. Porters have a watery texture. Stouts are often thicker, but not always.

Porter's signature ingredient is Patent Malt.
Stout's signature ingredient is Roasted Barley.

That's what Denise Jones at Moylan's told me.

I think one difference is mouth feel. Porters have a watery texture. Stouts are often thicker, but not always.

Before I did any research this is what I noticed as well. Obviously the lines between the styles aren't well defined. Historically they were defined more so than currently, but even then it depended on the region and time period. However, typically when I've had porters they've been thinner and drier than stouts which were a bit thicker and sweeter. Obviously if you throw the dry stout style in there it completely contradicts this way of thinking, but typically speaking I agree with you.

Porter's signature ingredient is Patent Malt.
Stout's signature ingredient is Roasted Barley.

That's what Denise Jones at Moylan's told me.

Oh god! I just made a porter with roasted barley and a stout with black patent malt! Are my batches ruined?

Seems to me it is a question of mouth-feel mostly... So even though I have been trying to brew a Porter I have ended up calling them Stouts because I think they are thicker then planned... I think of Stout as a beer to be consumed slowly where a Porter can be consumed a bit quicker and is easier drinking (meaning more like a session beer) At the lunch hour you can eat your meal and drink a couple Porters and go back to work refreshed... Where I think of Stouts as something to be contemplated as they are consumed...

If it has oats, it's a stout. I've never seen a porter recipe with oats.

I've had a few commercial "oatmeal porters", like from Five Seasons in Atlanta.

To me, stouts have roasted barley, and porters are similar but without roasted barley.

The style police,,, they hide under my Keg

The style police,,, they say my Amber is “Red”

The style police they say my Pale is an IP-AAAAAAAAAA

Well I don’t…. know…. why… they are... judging so hard.

…don’t… they … know… I... brewed... this... in my backyard

They are coming for me… they are waiting for me

With... Style…. Guides… in their hands…

Apologies to CHEAP TRICK

I agree that the definitions have been muddled, but I've always had my own definitions of Porters and Stouts. My porters are slightly lighter, both in color and mouth-feel, lower in alcohol, and are a bit drier, but less bitter. They are not quite opaque, allowing a very small amount of light to come through, and are brown, not black.

My stouts are heavier, a little higher in ABV, and are completely opaque with a dark black color. Both sweeter, and more bitter than my Porter. I tend to apply these definitions to commercial beers when I sample them, but I certainly won't turn my nose up at a good beer whether they call it a Stout or a Porter.

If a Stout is a little too bitter, can one replace some of the Roasted Barley with Chocolate Malt?
If Chocolate Malt is not a good substitute, then what is?

I agree that the definitions have been muddled, but I've always had my own definitions of Porters and Stouts. My porters are slightly lighter, both in color and mouth-feel, lower in alcohol, and are a bit drier, but less bitter. They are not quite opaque, allowing a very small amount of light to come through, and are brown, not black.

My stouts are heavier, a little higher in ABV, and are completely opaque with a dark black color. Both sweeter, and more bitter than my Porter. I tend to apply these definitions to commercial beers when I sample them, but I certainly won't turn my nose up at a good beer whether they call it a Stout or a Porter.

Pretty much my opinion as well.

I wouldn't disagree if someone were to say a Stout is a "more extreme" porter,
(in one direction or another). Porters (generally) seem to be more "moderate"
and balanced in their taste. (Most) stouts seem to be more bitter, probably from
increased amounts of very dark roasted grains.... or sweeter in the case of
"milk stouts" for example.

These are just my observations and opinions based on having had MANY beers
that the brewery decided to call their beer a "porter" or a "stout". Ultimately
the ONLY thing I care about is:

DO I LIKE IT??? and if so...
What shall I call it so I can get it again.

Back