Whats the deal with "dog" and brewing names?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irie5447

Reaction score
Ok, I myself am a dog lover and own 3 Labrador Retrievers which my wife and I consider a part of our family. But why do so many people feel a need to put the word "dog " or "dogs" into the name of their beers or the name of their brewing company! I keep seeing more and more of this as if this is the trendy or hip thing to do. I understand a dog is a man's best friend but I am starting to get annoyed with the unoriginality of this! :confused: Has anyone else noticed this or feel it is getting a little old and not unique at all? By thew way I do love Dogfish head beers!

I can't explain it, but I would like to see more ale's named after chinchillas. I feel they are getting left out of the whole homebrew scene.

As one of those breweries, I smite you for this thread.

:mad:

EDIT: How can you argue with this face?
IMG_3743.JPG

Dogfish isn't named after a dog, it's named after a shark.

Well, it's head at least.

Anyway, I went with White Dog because "Slightly Overweight Middle Aged Computer Nerd Brewing" was already taken.

Edit: Plus, he's cute as a button!

3471805430_ac077fa5f8_o.jpg

I go postal next time I see a brewery named after a body of water. Particularly a river. I suppose a toilet would be OK.

edit: And I approve the photo above. I just want to smush that little guy! Whatever that means:D

I go postal next time I see a brewery named after a body of water. Particularly a river. I suppose a toilet would be OK.

...Bemis Seat Brewery presents "Toilet Bowl Bock"

I was thinking about naming mine Dan Schnauzer Schnitzel or something German, even though I speak no German, I like the way it sounds. And my dogs are German.

Ok, I myself am a dog lover and own 3 Labrador Retrievers which my wife and I consider a part of our family. But why do so many people feel a need to put the word "dog " or "dogs" into the name of their beers or the name of their brewing company! I keep seeing more and more of this as if this is the trendy or hip thing to do. I understand a dog is a man's best friend but I am starting to get annoyed with the unoriginality of this! :confused: Has anyone else noticed this or feel it is getting a little old and not unique at all? By thew way I do love Dogfish head beers!

Fully agree.

Far to many names, logos, or labels have something to do with "dog." I don't get it.

Oh and I find dogfish head beers to be acceptable but not extraordinary.

Dogfish head is named after the Dogfish which is, astoundingly, no relation to dogs.

Any examples?DFH has been mentioned,but what else?FLying dog and Red dog(which I don't think they make anymore) are the only ones I can think of.Not trying to argue.I really haven't heard of any others.

Well, a Dogfish isn't a dog and Hair of the Dog should be obvious.

Would you drink a beer from Cat Scratch Brewing?

There's also Abita's TruboDog.

I think dogs probably love beer more than people do. My boxer used to sniff around my beer until she would "accidently" spill it. "oops", she would say. "Better clean it up".
Man I miss that dog.

I, too, am outraged at the cliche-ing of the fine tradition of using Dogs in brewery names. ;)

Of course, if you had a commercial coffee roastery for seven years before naming your brewery with the same name then that is perfectly fine.

reddog.jpg

Mine is called Dapple Dog Ale Works, because my dappled miniature dachshund loves brew day as much or more than I do. He likes to lick the carboys after the sweet wort goes in and drips down the side. He also love to sneak a snack of the barley while I'm distracted. And he curls up in front of the burner when it's cold. It was just a natural fit. I think all brewery names come about because they just seem to fit the brewers personality and style.

One of our dogs is a beer fiend. He only weighs about thirteen pounds though so, we have to be very careful how much we give him.
My wife wants to name our beer after him. She wants to call it "Colonel Angus Ale"
He has a weird licking fixation too.

I have a Hungarian Vizsla named Red Dog that I wanted to name my home brewery by. It is bad enough that people would think I named my dog after a wretched beer. I don't want them to think I named my wonderful ales after an uninteresting lager.

BTW: GIS for Vizsla vizsla - Google Image Search

Mine is Big Black Dog because I have the greatest big black dog ever, and I like to do everything I can to fight
Black Dog Syndrome.

Was not aware of this. My dog was truly rescued because he was two days away from being put down. He had been in the pound for 7 weeks 5 days and was the saddest skinniest smelliest dog in the joint. We suspect he was overlooked because he is a Chow mix which has some reputation for being aggressive. He is the sweetest dog I have ever had.

He has also made a great model for my coffee bags. It is funny the way people act when they realize that the dog on the bag and my actual dog are one and the same. I took him to a party once and a couple people there recognized him from the coffee they had at home. They acted like they were in the presence of a celebrity.

Latest posts

Back