Whats the deal with "dog" and brewing names?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in England, it's pretty much an unspoken rule that all pubs must have a resident dog! In fact, in my local there are usually 3 or 4 dogs walking about - Once last summer a customer came in and asked the publican 'do you allow dogs in your pub?' to which he replied 'Absolutely! I prefer them to humans!'.

Another local pub around here called "The Gribble Inn" has a massive basset hound called Puzzle who walks around eating chips people have dropped on the floor and generally getting very fat! Their brewery (The Gribble Brewery) made a beer called "Puzzle's Revenge" :)

As far as I'm concerned, dogs and beer are basic staples of a mans life (or womans life!) and if people want to name there brewery/beer after their dog then good on them!

H

dogfish, as in dogfish head beers is actually a species of shark (hence the shark on the label). so that beer in particular has nothing to do with dogs besides the coincidental name

I've been inspired.

Considering using the word "Dog" in all future posts.

Has anyone seen my "dog".

There's one. :ban:

3476428005_834c17b81a.jpg

I almost named my brewery "sun dog" which has nothing to do with dogs at all. A sun-dog is a celestial phenomenon where the sun casts a halo in a misty sky. Kind of like a giant ring-shaped rainbow around the sun. It looks like this:
sundog2.jpg
sundog1.jpg

The reason I did not go with sun dog is because the mighty Anheiser-Busch dicided they needed another beer label since the dozens they have are not enough. They produced a "sun dog" that featured a cartoonish dog with sunglasses and a bandana around the neck. I think it looked like it was ready for frisbee or something. Anyway, totally took the wind out of the sails...:mad:

-Tripod

My brewery is named after my Ginny pig... Jörvi Brauhaus

Here is a picture of Jörvi
_h3x8571-500x333.jpg

I also have 2 Sphynx (hairless) cats! I was thinking something along the lines of " Bald ***** Brewery"?:)

Well, a Dogfish isn't a dog and Hair of the Dog should be obvious.

Would you drink a beer from Cat Scratch Brewing?

Yes. Yes, I would.

I used to use Crazy Squirrel Brewing.

One of my favorite names (but the beer is meh) is Moosehead.
148.html

I've been inspired.

Considering using the word "Dog" in all future posts.

Has anyone seen my "dog".

There's one. :ban:

You should have ended that with
1971_dancing_dog.gif

I think I'd go with Dancing Moose Brewing, if they had animated beer labels.

Don't really care what other people call their breweries, and I have no name for mine, but I am put off by some names. For example, "Dirty Water Brewing" (somebody on this board calls their brewery that). Not appetizing. Crude names are also dumb, IMO, like Big Hairy Ass Stout, Cock and Balls Ale, etc...um, thanks, but no thanks.\

But, hey, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.:mug:

I have gone the route of feathered fowl rather than four legged canine...

There does seem to be quite a few canine related brewing names now that you mention it...

Back